You did it

The delivery was long and slow. The pain was excruciating. Fraser was with me the whole time. It was nearing the end.

“A few more minutes and we’ll be there!” one of the nurses smiled enthusiastically. The state I was in probably wasn’t the nicest thing to deal with, they were doing well.

“Push!” the doctor called. I did as they asked and pushed hard.

“FUCK YOU VIC” I screamed in the heat of the moment.

“I’m here baby, don’t worry.” A voice said from my side. I looked at them and saw Vic. He smiled at me and kissed my forehead before taking my other hand and squeezing it lightly.

“You can do this. For us.” He urged me. I nodded and carried on.

“Three… two…ONE!” the doctor counted down. The moment was a blur. All I could hear was cheering. I looked up at Vic who had a smiled on his face. I felt a tear run down my face.

“You did it.” He said finally. I nodded.

“Victor, come here and see your baby.” A midwife called. He kissed my lips gently and ran over.

“I’m so proud of you baby sis.” Fraser laughed. “But when I give birth, I get to break your hand.” He joked.

“Deal.” I winked. Finally the pain was gone. Instead, all I felt was confusion and pride. I’d woken up yesterday morning a normal, healthy person and less than 48 hours later I had just given birth.

Before I knew it, everyone was crowding around me; friends, nurses and my doctor. Everyone had a smile on their face.

“El Watts… Say hello to your little boy.” Vic said and laid him on my chest.

I looked down at the tiny little boy on me. He was so small. His eyes were closed and he looked so peaceful. All this time, I had no idea I was going to end up with this… end up with my little surprise.

“Any ideas on names?” Natalie cooed.

“I literally just met him, dumbass.” I laughed.

“Guys, can you all leave for a while so the family can bond properly. I’m sure they have lots to discuss.” The doctor requested. Everyone complied and left, chattering away.

I managed to sit up and cradle my little baby boy in my arms.

“I had no idea.” Vic said finally, taking my hand.

“Me neither.” I giggled. “It wasn’t a normal pregnancy and look at him… he’s perfect.”

Vic smiled and looked down at him.

“So were you ok in here alone?” he asked.

“I wasn’t alone, Vic. I had Fraser.” I informed him.

“He was in here with you?”

“I couldn’t have done it without him.” I told him. He nodded and smiled.

“I have an idea…” Vic began.

“Go on…”

“For the name.” he grinned.