Chapter 9

"That blasted Slayer!" Mathew exclaimed in the burnt out factory that was once a home for Spike and Drusilla.

"She was ready for us the whole time," Eric said.

"She's not stupid I'll give her that," one of Matthew's lackeys spoke.

"Shut up!" Matthew shouted hitting him across the face.

Joshua walked in seeing the melee that made everyone take notice.

"Who are you? How the hell did you get in here?" Matthew said seeing Joshua walk towards them.

"I am here to strike a deal."

"A deal?" he said, mockingly looking at Eric and the others jokingly.

"What kind of deal?"

"You want the Slayer destroyed?"

"Yes."

"So do I."

"State your deal."

"I bring you the Slayer and you do a small task for me in return."

"What kind of task are we talking about?" Eric questioned.

"Retrieve my book."

"You bring us the Slayer and all you want is for us to steal a book," Matthew replied.

"Yes."

He looked around at the others and said, "Done."

"Excellent" Joshua said smiling.

Giles, having spent the night again in the library, continued to gather more information on the grimiore. Is what it what he feared? He didn't know to what true end Miller's plans were still. He walked out of his office abruptly stopping in his tracks becoming immediately incensed. Ethan Rayne was sitting down at the table feet resting on top flipping through one of his research books.

"What are you doing back here, Ethan?"

"Hello Rupert," he replied looking up. "I see you're still playing with the Slayer and her adolescent friends."

"I have the duty to act as her Watcher."

"She still doesn't know you like I do, does she?"

"There are some things that she must never learn about," he said, pushing Ethan's feet on the table.

Ethan and Giles share a bitter loathing for each other. Several years ago Giles wasn't the upstanding Watcher he was today but a young delinquent occultist. Giles and his friend paid the price for their lack of responsibility when Eyghon, a demon they accidentally summoned forth, killed every person except him and Ethan. Unfortunately, Eygohn found its way into Jenny's body after needing a new host.

Even though Angel was able to drive him out of her, it didn't quickly repair her feelings toward him. It was only a while later that she instead betrayed him by not disclosing she was Janna, a member of the Kalderash clan of gypsies and one of the direct descendants of the young girl Angel had killed at the turn of the century where his soul had been restored.

After having restored Angel's soul it became Jenny's assignment to come to Sunnydale to watch him. It had been the perfect cover after having received her degree in computer sciences and teaching credentials.

"I think she would find it quite interesting," Ethan said rising up from his chair.

"Get out of here or shall I have to throw you out?"

"No need to bother," he said, holding a hand up." I'm leaving."

He walked out the door swinging it closed.