Her Leaving

Strawberry scent swirled in Mark's classroom and he knew it was her. The clicks of her white wedge heels as they hit his tiled floor and mint colored jeans coming to view confirmed it. None of them said a word, they didn't even make eye contact. His eyes remained on the lesson plan but his brain tried to rack for words, any word.

"Madison. Hello," Was the best he could come up with. His fingers held the pen, trying to write a note that he wasn't too sure about. Mark just wanted to make sure he looked incredibly busy. Maybe he'd convince her enough that she'd leave.

"Hola, Traineer," she whispered. A smiled twitched their way onto his pink tinted lips. 'Hola' is her trademark hello. She liked to greet and bid farewell in Spanish for some reason.

The eerie atmosphere has lessened, but eye contact still seemed to be off the table. Neither would look at each other. Madison continued playing with the tips of her hair, glaring at the floor while Mark kept doing what he was doing.

 The silence was killing both of them and none of them knew why. The five minute bell rang. Madison was about to turn around, knowing that if she didn't leave now, she'd be late for her first period.

"Stay." And that's exactly what she did. Madison stayed for a little longer, hoping he'd say something. Yet no one said a word. The students soon filled the classroom and the two minute bell rang. She needed to leave. The students around them were talking but the two only acknowledgedeach other's presence.

Madison made her way to the door, hoping he'd tell her to stay again.

"Leave." She paused for a second then continued walking. "Not you, Madds. All of you. Leave. Now.”