Her Thoughts

There was a maroon gel pen clipped to the spine of this journal, leaves patterned on the leather cover. Mark's fingers shook as he gently caressed the front with the tips of his fingers. It was laid on his mahogany coffee table, begging to be opened.

He did wait for her to come back for it. A minute turned into twenty. Twenty minutes turned into an hour and he just couldn't wait any longer. Mark picked the journal up, placed it in his messenger bag along with the graded papers, and went on his way to his apartment.

Now sat on his recliner, debating whether or not he should open the book and have a look.

'One page won't hurt'

"Dear Diary,

He was standing in front of me today, like any other day. He just stood there and looked." 

Guilt fizzed in his insides. He couldn't do this. He can't just invade his student's privacy. This was crossing a line.

"You would not understand the struggle I went through today! This girl at the restaurant spilled wine all over my white Louis Vuitton. Ugh! The nuisance! Look at what she did!" Kristen took off her heels, stomping over to Mark. Though Kirsten was blabbing about the new waitress at Olive Garden, Mark couldn't pay attention to what she was saying, couldn't stop thinking of what he just read.

Mark was looking at her that day and he knew it. He wasn't sure if he meant for her to take it the way she did, but he knew he looked at her. He always looked at her.