Chapter 26

Best Bud

Yeah well, I never went home.

I decided to walk around the neighborhood after walking out of Angelo's party. It was already past 9 pm and I don't know why I was here, walking alone in the streets at night. But it would be completely different if I took a stroll in the morning, though. I needed to clear my head tonight. Even if it wasn't the brightest idea in the world.

I don't know where my legs are taking me but I just let them drag me to who-knows-where.

I made a dangerous turn into a familiar neighborhood. It wasn't that far from my old house. That is why mom and dad would leave me alone running to Loui's house when I wanted to go and play with him.

I have been avoiding this neighborhood forever. I didn't know why I had the sudden courage to come here after all these years.

The familiar cemented road and all the fancy houses lighted up to remind everyone that there were people living in it.

Except for one house.

I took a deep breath and walked towards the old house. It was still a pretty mansion but it feels so old and haunted right now because no one was living here ever since. I think the door is broken because it's still open up until now. It was so dark that not even one light bulb was on. After ten years of no one living here, the outside house was kinda dirty. The white color turned into five more shades darker. It was one fancy house and I think the previous owner didn't want to sell it that's why it's so empty.

I took a seat on the grass. I'm glad that there were lamposts here and all of the other houses nearby had lights, so it was less scary.

I started plucking the grass on their lawn. It was newly trimmed and I'm pretty sure it's because of the mowers. They mow our lawns every other month. I was thankful because they still took care of this lawn even though no one lived here anymore.

"Hey," I said to the house. "So your owner moved, huh."

I must be really sad that I was about to pour all my feelings into this abandoned house. "Well, it's been ten years since I last saw him. I can't even picture his face now."

I might say, I was really curious about what his face looks like now. He was really good-looking when we were still kids. I sighed. I was seriously talking to a house. Mr. Chuck lived nearby but I stopped myself from disturbing him. It was past 9 after all.

I was quiet while just staring at the little details of the house in front of me. I turned to look at a window where his bedroom was and shifted my gaze from the window to another. Even though the door was broken, I didn't dare to trespass. I was also scared because it was already dark out.

I jumped in surprise when I heard a loud roar of an engine and tires screeching. I was having a peaceful moment here, was that even necessary? The headlights were so bright I had to cover my eyes. I chose to ignore it though because it might just pass by the road behind me.

I was taken by surprise when the car parked right next to me and the next thing I know, Tyler was helping me get up from the lawn.

I widened my eyes at his sudden appearance. "How did you know I'm right here?"

"I didn't," Tyler said. "I looked for you."

I bowed my head in embarrassment. "I'm sorry, Tyler."

It must have been such a hassle to go back home and get his car just to find me. I wanted to cry at this moment. I realized I didn't need an old abandoned house to reminisce the past, but I needed and actual person to listen to me.