What You See is What You Get

A/N: the chapters tend to be a little shorter nowadays… more around 7 pages than 8… it's because I don't have much time in the evenings to write, sorry!

Chapter 16: What You See is What You Get

"Seriously, do it today and I'll throw in a blow job!"

Mark wearily raised his head and turned it in the direction of Jake, who was on the phone sounding desperate. "Who the hell are you talking to?"

"My mechanic," the man answered.

"You'd better be joking about the blow job," the blond muttered.

"She wouldn't want one, anyway. Jess, please?! Thank you! Yes, charge whatever the hell you want. I'll meet you there in one hour, okay? Thanks!" A moment later Mark felt a hand against his sweaty brow. "Is it okay if I disappear for a while? It shouldn't take long."

"Yeah, I think I can throw up and have the runs on my own," the younger man answered, trying to only sound half as miserable as he felt.

"Poor Pooch. I'm going to call the health department and report that place," Jake growled. "Do you need anything? More water?"

"No, I'm good."

"Just remember to drink so you don't get dehydrated."

"I know, I know," Mark muttered. He then heard his phone ring from somewhere. Where had he left his jeans last night? Who knew, they came off in a hurry.

"I'll get it for you if you want," Jake offered.

"It's mom," he nodded, recognizing the signal.

"Hello, Mrs. Sanders! Yes, sorry; Sarah. No, he's a bit under the weather. We got take out last night and… yeah. No, no Sunday dinner today, sorry. Do you want to talk to him? Okay, one moment."

When the phone was pressed into his hand Mark answered tiredly.

"Oh, sweetie, you sound dreadful!"

"Feeling it too… since four this morning," the blond admitted. "But the worst is over I think."

"Drink lots of water!" his mother said.

"Yeah, I've already gotten that order from Jake," Mark chuckled. "I'm afraid I'll just start throwing up again, though."

"Just a little at a time! Start out with half a mouth full every fifteen minutes or so and work yourself up. You better stay home from work tomorrow too."

"I can't," Mark groaned. "Too much to do."

"Oh, pish-posh, let the rest of the team do some work for once! Tell Jake I told you to keep you at home."

"Mom said that I should go to work tomorrow," Mark grinned in Jake's direction.

"She did not, I heard her," the man snorted. "If you don't feel completely fine tonight, you're staying home. Who knows, it might not be food poisoning, it might be stomach flu. Then all of us might be bedridden by tomorrow anyway."

"Listen to Jake," his mother told him in an amused tone.

"I hate it when you gang up on me," Mark sighed, but he knew that there was no way he was going to work in this condition. Hopefully it was all out of his system now, and he- he suddenly felt his stomach cramp and his eyes grew big. "Sorry mom, gotta go!" he yelled, dropped the phone and bolted towards the door, almost trampling both Jake and Felix as he went.

Mark was still in the bathroom when Jake was getting ready to leave.

"Are you okay in there?" the man asked through the door.