I Don't See What I Did Wrong

A/N: Work has started and new routines and a LOT of new students makes for a very stressed and busy me, but pft… VERY IMPORTNANT DISCLAIMER AT THE END, just concerning some "facts" in the story.

Chapter 9: I Don't See What I Did Wrong

"I just don't understand," Mark sighed. He and Jake were in bed together, entwined. Of course sex was very far from either of their minds, but being close was important. They didn't have much choice in the matter anyway: the bed in Mark's childhood room was quite a bit narrower than they were used to.

"He's grieving. He'll be saying and doing things he doesn't really mean," Jake tried to console him.

"But how am I supposed to help if I don't know what's going on? Why didn't he tell me about his sister and mother? And why did he tell O'Connor? I thought we told each other everything!"

"Firstly, I really hope you don't tell each other everything, and secondly… maybe he was just ashamed, maybe it just wasn't on his mind when you were around, I don't know," the man told him. "I do know that both of us have work in the morning, though. And I also know that this won't resolve itself until you and Lance talk… but I think he needs some time."

"Okay."

"You're finally going to listen to me?"

"I always listen to you."

"Hear me maybe, listen…? Not so much." Jake chuckled and kissed Mark's temple.

"Well, I can't do what you say when you're wrong, after all," Mark defended himself, a small smile playing on his lips. "Now you just happen to be right. For once."

"For once, huh?" the man growled playfully. "Well, I order you to go to sleep now."

"Yes, Sir."

"See? Things are just so much easier this way," Jake said smugly.

"We forgot the litter box again."

"Dammit."

_____________________________________________________

Jake drove Mark to work the next morning. Lance was still in his room when they left, but it was early after all. Mark had heard O'Connor's slightly gravelly morning voice as he fetched himself some coffee just as they were leaving. He wanted to stay and talk to both of them, but he knew that he couldn't miss a single day. The first convention was three weeks away and he and Sue had their hands full. Besides, they were already running late because Jake had had to change his shirt after getting baby food all over it.

In the car, Jake brought up a sensitive subject.

"What do you think will happen to Tony?" he asked.

"I don't know. But Joan won't get custody of him, right? I mean… they can't give him to her, can they?"

"I'm sure the social services will get involved and that there will be a hearing of some sort… I believe relatives have some sort of priority over non-relatives, but I really don't know. I'll call Brock and Morgan. They aren't in family law, but they can recommend someone."

"Yeah… as long as he doesn't have to go back to her."

"Mark?"

"Yeah?"

"You haven't considered…" the man hesitated for a moment. "It's a big step and everything, but maybe… we could…?"

Mark grew cold. He had been afraid of this. He wanted to say 'no' outright, but of course he wanted to help… and if Jake really wanted a family, what would happen if he said no?