My Benefactor - Chapter Forty

My Benefactor

Copyright © 2012 All Rights Reserved

WARNING: UNEDITED. EXCUSE THEM FOR NOW.

Chapter Forty

Reagan's Point of View

Picture on the side is Reagan's dress.

I was so damn nervous. Really, you wouldn't believe it.

                Heck! Any sane person could tell right of the bat I was a train wreck waiting to happen.

          My palms were drenched with sweat, my heart was palpating as though someone was playing bongo drums on it, and my legs were trembling so much.

              'Calm down, Reagan,' I thought to myself, trying to calm my bundled nerves.. 'It's just a date, you've done this kind of stuff before.'

               Pfft!

               Calm down? Just a date?

               No, it wasn't just that...

              This was Derek we were talking about. When it came to him, it wasn't anything simple.

            Right after Derek told me we were going on a date, I booked it like I was chased after a horde of zombies to my room, and looked for a perfect dress. It was chaos out there, and it was ridiculous how I threw dress after dress out of my closet like a maniac high on Red Bull. I was about to give up, and make a desperate move to go shopping (which I totally abhor with all my might), but a certain black number that was embedded so deep into my closet saved me from the horrors of going to the mall.

            It was perfect, in my eyes anyway.

          It was a strapless black cocktail dress that fell just above my knees. It was elegant without being openly glamorous and provocative, just the way I liked it. The skirt area had a soft fabric layer, so when you walk, it flowed like a waterfall. I made sure that my make-up would concentrate more on my eyes, so I went for the smokey eye effect. To finish off the look, I paired it up with black stiletto pumps.

             As I looked at my reflection in the mirror, that sense of uncertainty encompassed me.

            What if I looked overdone? What if I looked like I was trying to hard?

            Oh, god... What if I looked like a hooker on a red light district?

       A sudden knock brought me out my stupid internal turmoil. I shook my head to clear my uncertainty, and I made a last sweep of my reflection, and breathe out a sigh after that.

            “Ma cherie?” Derek asked from the other side of the door. “Are you ready?”

         I took deep, calming breaths and replied with as much sturdiness in my voice.“Yeah, I'm  ready,” I told him. I took my color matching clutch bag from my vanity into my hand, stood up, and walked towards the door, my hand clutching the doorknob tightly.

            Here we go.

        I opened the door and started to say,“Hey..." but my next words die down. I couldn't seem to continue on with my sentence. I was brought up short with the sight of the man before me, I would have pegged myself to have gone mute.