My Benefactor - Chapter Thirty Two

Thanks for the cover, love! ;-D

My Benefactor

Copyright © 2011 All rights reserved

Chapter Thirty Two

Derek's Point Of View

For the first time in my life, I have never felt so utterly helpless.

As a pureblood (a strong and powerful one at that) and the fact that I had lived for so long, I always made sure that whatever life was thrown my way, I took everything in confident strides, but this? When it came to someone so dear to me... who I love with everything that I have in me suffer in pain and there was nothing I can do about it...

It is hard... so damn hard not being able to do anything and I loathe myself for it.

"Ma cherie," I said to Reagan, stroking the side of her face with great delicacy. I was sitting at the edge of her bed, fussing over her like a doting grandma and I could tell she was getting irritated with me. "Please, are you sore everywhere? Does your head hu--"

"Derek!" Reagan interjected, gritting her teeth. "Will you shut up for a minute? You're worst that a doting grandma."

I sighed deeply and went to intertwine my hand with hers, squeezing it lightly. "I can't help it - I'm worried about you, my love. It's hard seeing you like this and..." I paused, closing my eyes and blew out a big breath, "...not being able to do anything." I opened my eyes and gave her a sad smile.

She groaned, curling into a ball as the sheets bunch along with the movement. She didn't let go of my hand, which was nice, and I felt her squeezing it.

"God, I feel like banging my head on the wall with this stupid migraine," she said weakly, shutting her eyes tight. "When will this stop?..."

"As Ryder said, you'll be sick the whole day," I told her. "You're in the process of transforming into a full Galerian as your body is adjusting from plain human to a supernatural being."

And she is, and I didn't quite understand it. As far as I know, Alerians don't go through this excruciating transformation when they turn eighteen. In fact, they would just gain their powers fully and that was it, but Reagan was half and half of a superior race.

I needed to talk to Luke for more insight.

"I know," she moaned, her eyes still shut tight. "But this really bites."

Sighing, I let go of her hand and maneuvered myself in getting in bed with her. I scooted closer, the tip of our noses slightly brushing against each other and I reached out to touch her cheek, stroking it tenderly.

"Open your eyes, ma cherie," I said to her softly. "Open your eyes and look at me."

She fluttered them open and still, her once light blue eyes were still coated with electric blue with a hint of stormy gray. I'll never get used to their lethal beauty, and yet, gazing upon it had me drowning like a man who didn't know how to swim. That specific eye color was a part of her inheritance, a badge that she was the descendant of a legendary Galerian.

"Just bear with it for a day, okay?" I soothed, skimming my thumb on her cheekbones. "By tomorrow, it will all be over."

She let out a strained laugh. 'There you go,' I thought gladly. Though it isn't much, a laugh is a laugh, and it's better than nothing. "It's my birthday tomorrow," she informed me. "I'll be a legal adult."