My Benefactor Chapter Twenty Four

My Benefactor

Copyright © 2011 crimsonnebula

All rights reserved

Chapter Twenty Four

Picture on the side is a poster made by HerRoyalPainInTheAss. Thank you very much! :)

This chapter is dedicated to a lovely girl named Alexandra (Sephira) Thanks a lot for your help!

A big shoutout to PuppyChow and christina_stephie for their astounding knowledge of Ancient Greece and Greek Mythology. Thank you! 

Vote, like, fan, tweet and comment as much as you want! 

Enjoy! (no proofreading done) If I made some mistakes here then I'm sorry. I just googled the information :) I'll go over it later.

***************************

(Derek's POV)

Ancient Thera, the classical city of the island of Santorini was located on Mesa Vouno, 396 m. above sea level. If my memory serves me right, it was founded in the 9th century B.C by Dorian colonist whose leader was Theras, and continued to be inhabited until the early Byzantine period.

Luke called his friend and Alerian historian for further information. According to him, Santorini Island was the last documented sighting of Sephrina after she invoked the prophecy, gave or take a few decades or so. At some point, some Alerians had migrated to the city when the Sacred Law of Coexistence was created, thus gave them the freedom to do whatever they wanted. He said she resided there for some time, but it wasn't proven that the city was her final resting place. But, there was a temple built in honor of her mother, Chezahrina, so maybe there had to be something in there worth finding.

After all, that was what the inscription said.

Αρχαία Θήρα [Ancient Thera]

Knowing we were desperate to break this prophecy, I booked five plane tickets bound for Santorini Island. The flight was approximately 45 minutes. If we took a ferry from Piraeus' Port near Athens, it would take 9 to 10 hours, and by high-speed ferry was 4 to 5 hours, so we opted for the fastest - by plane.

I took the liberty in making the arrangements (i.e accomodation and transportation heading for the ancient city) if we planned on staying long in Santorini. Luke insisted on paying half, but I refused, since I wanted to do this.

This was all for her, the love of my life, Reagan. Even if it cost an arm and a leg, I didn't care. I would do anything for her.

"We're here," the driver announced in his heavy accent. "Ancient Thera."

I noticed our driver took us at the base of the mountain."This is the city?" I asked in confusion.

He rolled his eyes."You have to climb to get there," the driver said. "This is as far as I can go."

"Thank you," I said, handing him a huge tip, even though I already paid for the rental fee.

He grinned as he saw the wad of cash on my hand and took it. I almost snorted at his greedy look."You're welcome," oh yes, you are alright. Anything for the love of money. "You have my number, so call me when you decide to leave," he said.

I nodded in confirmation. "Will do."

We stepped out and he drove off, leaving us eating his dust.

When the car was out of sight, I turned around to face everyone with a sly smirk on my lips. At this moment, only one thing flitted through my head.

Who said anything about climbing?

"Dee, why are you smirking?" Reagan asked, clearly confused at my cockiness.

Cooper, on the other hand, knew me too well. Catching on to my idea, he grinned like a fool."Last one up is a rotten pureblood?"

Reagan rolled her eyes. "It's egg, Cooper. Egg," she corrected, though Cooper intentionally changed the well-known expression.

It was his turn to do the eye roll. "I know that. I thought changing it to pure blood sounded cool," he added. "Like me."

This was just classic. Cooper and Reagan were at it again but, their playful banter had brought back a sense of normalcy into our situation. It was a momentary comfort.

Reagan glared at Cooper and poked him in the chest. "Not all of us are purebloods, idiot, so it doesn't make sense."

"But Ryder is a Pureblood Galerian, so he counts as one," he countered.

Ryder snapped his head to face them."Hey! Don't include me in your immature conversation," he said in annoyance.

"Who said we're immature?!" Reagan and Cooper unanimously snapped back.

Oy vhey.

I sighed. "Guys, stop it," I said. "We don't have time fooling around so we need to go up the mountain and find the temple."