Did Brokenstar Really Go? (Chapter 12)

The usual yowl rang out as Bluestar called the clan together. "Patrols have scented ShadowClan scent in our territory. This wil stop, we will find out what is happening. Well, now about the gathering. These are the cats going to it. Fireheart, Graystripe, Sandpaw, Dustpaw, Tigerclaw..." I zoned out getting sleepy for some strange reason.

        When I woke up paws were pushing at me continuously. "Whaaat!" I groan loudly. "You've been asleep for like...moons!" Spottedkit meow. I sat bolting upright. "How long was I out?" I question Brindleface. "The whole day...well, since Firestar said who was going to the gathering, until they left, which was rihgt now."

        The whole day?! I was asleep the whole day! Lionkit dragged in a plump rabbit. "You're hungry I think!" He meowed nudging it towards me. "Thanks Lionkit." I say to my son as I eat the rabbit hungrily.

        I walked outside as I heard loud pawsteps. "How was the gathering?" I called as Fireheart walked up to me followed by Sandpaw. Fireheart looked as if thinking on how to put it, so Sandpaw spoke up, "Both we and WindClan accused ShadowClan of stealing prey and then ShadowClan is really made at every clan and..." "That's about it." Fireheart ended with a yawn. Then we split up, Sandpaw to the apprentices den, Fireheart to the warriors den, and me to the nursery. Tigerclaw was watching from the shadowed part of the warriors den a hungry and greedy stare looking around camp. What is he capable of?

        I couldn't go to sleep so I spent what felt like moons, brushing my paw across the fur of my offspring and using the other to paw at some moss boredly. Finally, like every cat in the camp, drowsiness took over me and I went to sleep.

        You must go to Cinderpaw...she needs you right now. I entered Cinderpaw's dream, watching from the sidelines. She was a warrior running along with her clanmates marking the borders, catching prey. Then she was an apprentice again and lying on the Thunderpath her leg sprawled out. She was then in the medicine den helping Yellowfang.

        Waves of unhappiness roled off of Cinderpaw. "I'll never be a warrior. I can't even help my clan." I padded towards her touching her shoulder with my tail and sitting down. "You can help your clan. You have to become a medicine cat...that is your destiny and there is nothing you can change about it." Cinderpaw stared at me about to speak. "But, you have to accept that Cinderpaw. This is your way to help ThunderClan. In the end...you will be proud of what you have done. Follow your destined path. You are meant to do this." With that I woke up.

        I walked outside and saw Tigerheart organizing patrols. "I'll join a hunting patrol." Bluestar called to the ThunderClan deputy. I longed to get out of the nursery and go on a patrol, but that wouldn't happen until Spottedkit and Lionkit were apprentices. All the patrols were gathered by the thorn tunnel.

        As the patrols left, I realized that the only warrior in camp was Fireheart. There were queens, elders, apprentices, but the only other cat was Fireheart. Fireheart padded to me. "We need to secure the camp, I'm the only warrior and I don't want to have the camp barely protected."

        "Well this will be easier than I thought." The rough voice of Brokenstar was heard as he pushed his way through the thorn tunnel with his gang of rogues behind him.

        "Attack on camp!" I yowl. "Elders into the nursery!" Fireheart adds rushing straight at Brokenstar, when Clawface springs, pinning him down. "You're going to regret this!" I heard the low growl before I saw a streak of light brown fur. Sandpaw had sprung at a rogue, Dustpaw beside her. They fought like warriors.

        Fireheart was clawing wildly at Clawface, but his blows were getting weaker and weaker. Just as I was running across the clearing, hoping luck would come his way, Graystripe flies by, the next moment, holding the limp body of Clawface. I gaped at him. "Why..." I heard Fireheart ask Graystripe before I go back to the battle.

        I lunge at Brokenstar clawing him as I fly by. A team of two rogues were heading for the nursery. "NO!" I screech, mama dog coming over me. I rampage, knocking one down and clawing the other fiercely. Cinderpaw joins in. "Great job." I pant as she goes back to guard the nursery.

        There were 3 left from Brokenstar's group, Brokenstar himself and two other former ShadowClan cats. Before I knew it, I was beside Dustpaw aiming blows at the former clan cat. Sandpaw and Fireheart were on my other side fighting the other. The only one left was Brokenstar.

        I blinked opening my eyes to see Yellowfang on top of Brokenstar, his eyes bleeding and a scratch along his flank. As we drove the other cats out, within moments a patrol returned, it's jaws laden with freshkill and their eyes wild.

        Bluestar padded up to Fireheart and Graystripe, questioning them. They told her what happened then padded over to me flopping down on the ground. I noticed that even though Graystripe saved Fireheart, they still weren't being buddies to eachother. "I could sleep for a moon!" Graystripe exclaims then pads off to the warriors den. Yellowfang then chose to come over.

        "That was amazing how you fought against Brokenstar." I meowed. "It, it wasn't easy." "Why?" Quesioned Fireheart. Yellowfang took a breath. "Because he is my son." I nodded, though surprised slightly, while Fireheart was jumping out of his fur. "WHAT!" He cried in a whisper. "That thing is your son?!" Yellowfang nodded sorrow in her eyes, memories flooding to her and I was swept in.

        Yellowfang was curled up next to a tree. Three kits were next to her. One born dead, one breathing shallowly, and one healthy with a kink in it's tail gruesome look on it's face. As one kit stopped breathing and was still, she buried them. She followed as Yellowfang took them to the ShadowClan nursery where Raggedstar met her, his eyes gleaming. "Probably her mate." I whisper to myself. They went in and dicussed to a queen. "His name is Brokenkit." Yellowfang stammered at the last minute.