Firepaw's Punishment

Chapter 4: Firepaw's Punishment

        A patrol padded into camp with Firepaw and Yellowfang in the center. Mousefur padded up to Bluestar's den. After a bit of yowling, the two she-cats came out and after what felt like moons of waiting, Bluestar gave Firepaw the punishment of taking care of Yellowfang while she stayed in camp, giving her fresh kill and cleaning out her bedding. "Take good care of her," I whispered to Firepaw. "You don't know what she's been through." He looked at me questioningly. "Ok." He meowed.

        When I woke up, Firepaw's den was cold. I got up to see where he was. "Where are you going?" Ravenpaw asked sleepily. "Just outside." I replied. I padded out side and Firepaw was dashing around, first, he got fresh kill and gave it to Yellowfang, then, he cleaned out her bedding, and finally, he got some mouse bile from my mother and checked Yellowfang for ticks. 

When Firepaw went to rinse his paws in the stream, I walked over to Yellowfang. "Is he treating you well?" I asked her. "Yes, He's fine. Why are you so concerned?" "Well I know what happened, and I think you deserve a good life in any Clan...even before you're finally part of it."

        Willowpelt came over. "Do you want to do some battle practice?" "Okay! Bye Yellowfang!" We ran out to the sandy hollow where Graypaw and Lionheart were already training.

        "Mistpaw, run at me as if I am and enemy." Willowpelt commanded. I charged at her, she jumped over. I stumbled to a halt. "Try again." This time I looked at her ready position. She is going to jump a little to the right. I charged at her running from the right side. When she jumped, I was ready. I pushed my muzzle up and intercepted her jump. Then, I swatted at her with sheathed claws. Willowpelt landed sprawled on the ground. "Willowpelt, you okay?" I asked anxiously.

        She jumped on top of me and we rolled around in a tight bundle of fur. I pushed hard with my hind legs and Willowpelt went flying. Willowpelt got up and shook her head. "Very good. Now try to knock me off my paws." She meowed. I flew at her dodging her blows and sticking out my muzzle to trip or unbalance her.

        "Good Job!" Graypaw meowed looking up from his who was on the ground defeated. "Mrrowwwwwwww!" Graypaw meowed as Lionheart jumped on him. I hissed in laughter. "Never take your eyes off your opponent." Lionheart growled.

        We came back at sun high, Willowpelt was worn out, so she decided to have a little hunting practice. When we came back, I carried a thrush and two voles. I ran back out of camp to collect the mouse and the sparrow that I couldn't carry. This was a busy day, I learned how to do the Badger defense, the belly rake, and the jump and pin! I also practiced a lot of other stuff. Do all the apprentices learn so much stuff? 

        As we walked through the forest to Four Trees I talked to Firepaw and Graypaw about training. There was something wrong. Definitely wrong. I smelled only stale WindClan scent. Along the borders and at Four Trees. "Firepaw, there is something very wrong." I murmured.

        The Gathering started immediately. Brokenstar stepped forwards. "We have driven out a cat, she has murdered two of ShadowClan's kits. Kill her as soon as you find her, and keep a close eye on your kits. We are the most strong and thriving clan, so we need more territory. We had to drive out WindClan to claim their territory, because they wouldn't give it up without a fight." Crookedstar stepped up. "I have given a little of our territory to ShadowClan." With that, the Gathering ended.

        I raced back to the camp. Right behind Bluestar. I burst into camp and began to tell Yellowfang what Brokenstar said at the Gathering. He told the other Clans that if they see you to kill you, and that you kill kits."  Cats began to surround us. "She's the one Brokenstar was talking about. We should get rid of her." Some cats yowled in agreement. "She hasn't harmed us, has she. Brokenstar is a greedy,  lying piece of fox dung. What he said is not true." I growled at them. "How do you know. Your just an apprentice. You haven't really been out of camp." Tigerclaw and Longtail hissed. "Yeah!" Dustpaw growled in agreement.

        I slid out my claws. "Do you want to try me? I will take you on you mangy piece of crow food. Firepaw, Graypaw, and Ravenpaw stepped to my side. "Every cat knows something. Maybe you don't know but they know." Ravenpaw said. My claws slid back in and I tried to lower my hackles. It took a lot of effort, but I calmed myself. "Yellowfang hasn't done anything they have blamed her for." I started. "And she would not." Spottedleaf walked forward backing me up.

        "As a medicine cat, I know Yellowfang well, she would not kill kits or hurt another clan for no reason." "Would you kill your parents kits? Would you kill helpless kits!?" I meowed looking around. Bluestar glided between us. "Mistpaw is right. Yellowfang has done nothing to harm us. So, Yellowfang will remain in camp and we shall get ready for battle. We are the only ones standing against Brokenstar."

        Bluestar dispersed the crowd with a flick of her tail, and went to her den. All cats dispersed but stayed in groups murmuring and shooting glares and glances at Yellowfang and Mistpaw. I padded to my den and went to sleep.