Part 2: On the Move (Chapter 6)

Chapter 6: On the Move                       Mistfeather's P.O.V

Second Book of Warriors

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        I shivered. Even though it was greenleaf it was freezing coming into leafbare. Hopefully WindClan made it home by then. Yesterday we had battled Brokenstar, and basically saved the future of ShadowClan. I couldn't wait to see the light of dawn. I so wanted to talk to someone. Whitestorm padded up and said we could eat and rest. "It's cold!" Graystripe meowed padding to the freshkill pile. "I never knew great warriors could feel the cold!" Dustpaw snickered. Sandpaw purred with laughter.

        "Ignore them." I meowed. "Hey guys! Dustpaw and Sandpaw! If you were outside the warm and cozy apprentice den all night, you would probably be freezing too!" "No we wouldn't!" Dustpaw taunted. "We're stronger than you."

        "When leafbare is here and you're standing in the cold, I would expect you to be begging to get in the warriors den!" I retorted.

I padded away and took a plump vole. Graystripe ate his mouse hungrily, then moved on to his half of the chaffinch. I finished the vole and padded over. "We get to sleep in the warriors den." I meowed and walked over to find I place to sleep. I slowly padded to a fresh bed and settled for sleep.

        I closed my eyes and appeared near Barley's barn. Follow me, my mother said leading me through the forest. I passed Thunderpaths and a stone house mostly destroyed. We flew to a hole in the ground. I gasped. "That's WindClan!" I meowed to Spottedleaf. She nodded and flicked her tail at the hole. I walked in. "This is our new home, until we can return to the forest." Tallstar meowed to the his clan. A loud rumbling was heard and I jumped, this was under the Thunderpath. Everything faded and I woke in the warriors den.

        I stretched and padded outside. Fireheart and Graystripe were still asleep. The kits were playing outside the nursery. "I'm a fox! Protect your clan!" I meowed and walking away. Bundles of fur landed on my back. I mrrowed in surprise. Shaking my body, the kits dropped off one by one. "Attack!" They yowled, swiping at my flank.

        Kits. They're always having fun! At least they have some cat to play with, other warriors and their siblings, I had neither. I was playing with the kits as the bright sky was dimming.

        Tigerclaw walked in the warriors den. "Wake up Fireheart!" he growled. "You and Graystripe will join the evening patrol." He walked out and Graystripe and Fireheart followed. Fireheart was looking at Bluestar den. He probably wants to talk to Bluestar about Tigerclaw. What about Redtail, I know he wouldn't have killed Oakheart. It's dishonorable and basically against the warrior code.

        I saw a flash of gray fur as Bluestar jumped onto the HighRock and gathered the Clan. "...you shall be known as Swiftpaw. Longtail, you were Darkstripe's apprentice, and are a skilled warrior. I hope you pass it down to Swiftpaw." Longtail padded forward and touched noses with his new apprentice.

        At the next full moon, Fireheart was still looking out for times to tell Bluestar. It was getting to his brain. "What's wrong with you?" I would ask him and he would shake his head and say he was fine.

I looked at Fireheart and I saw a blazing forest cats standing where they were, not running away. "Fire will save the Clan." The cats murmured disappearing into the flames. I shook my head and looked again. I wasn't a medice cat or clan leader. Why was StarClan sending me messages? I had a clue that Fireheart was not a regular cat. What does it mean? Was Fireheart part of the prophecy?

        I sped up until I was next to Fireheart. "Do you dream of StarClan?" I asked curiously. "Yes, I have dreams of cats warning me when something is going to happen. I also have dreams about something Spottedleaf told me about. 'Fire will save the Clan.'"

        So he did know about his prophecy, but he didn't know what it meant. Good, I was going to leave it that way.

As we walked back to camp, cats were still murmuring about what had happened at the gathering and how and when WindCaln were coming back.

        Bluestar padded up to Fireheart, Graystripe, and I, who were walking side by side. "I need you to find WindClan. You will search starting dawn of tommorow. Come back when you have WindClan."

        We walked sleepily towards the warriors' den. I blinked open my sleepy eyes. It was the break of dawn. We were starting on our quest to find WindClan.

        I walked over to Yellowfang's den. "Hello Yellowfang!" I meowed stretching. "Here are your herbs." She said starting to walk away. I swallowed them whole, the bitter taste disolving in my mouth.

        My thoughts wandered. I knew where WindClan was, just I wondered where we will go on the way and who/what we would encounter. "Come on! Let's go!" Graystripe's urgent mew disrupted my thoughts. As we padded towards WindClan territory, I meowed, "I know where WindClan is, follow me!"

        Graystripe and Fireheart were murmuring about. "RiverClan!" They hissed, just as a smelled a fresh scent. We crouched down as the RiverClan warriors raced by chasing rabbits. "They're not really good rabbit hunter." Muttered Graystripe. "That's because they're used to catching fish." Fireheart whispered as Blackclaw raced after the rabbit. "Quiet!" I hissed.

        "They're coming!" I hissed. "They're coming! Hide!" Fireheart echoed. "Folow me. I smell badgers, there's got to be a set to hide in somewhere." whispered Graystripe. "Badgers! Will it be safe?" Fireheart and I whispered simultaneously. We ran to the badger set and hid.

        "Badger set!" Blackclaw's rasping meow filled the air. "The set may be abandoned. Is the rabbit hiding there?" "No the scent leads this way." They bounded off towards the rabbit.

        We headed off towards WindClan camp. We entered the abandoned camp. Scents of old, young, male and female cats lingered in the hollow. The stench of crowfood wafted up my nose. "I can't believe that Brokenstar was able to drive them out of this place. It's too well protected." I nodded in agreement. As I looked around the camp, I saw clumps of fur and blood splatered everywhere, and nest strewn across the floor.

        "Let's get out of here and find them guys." I meowed nervously. As we padded on I was getting less certain of the path, but the drops of dried blood showed me the way. We raced out of WindClan's territory The faint scent marker drifting behind us.