Daily Life, a Dream, and a Medicine Cat

Chapter 3: Daily Life, a Dream, and a Medicine Cat

        I closed my eyes and as they blinked closed, I stood in a clearing with trees all around me, suddenly a cat appeared in front of me. He had stars in his ragged pelt. "Greetings Mistpaw, I am Raggedstar, the previous leader of ShadowClan. My mate, Yellowfang, medicine cat--" "Wait! Are you a cat from StarClan?!" I asked excited and confused. Why had they come to me? Raggedstar nodded. "Something bad is happening with ShadowClan. You have to talk to Yellowfang at the gathering. Remember her you're the only one who can help her at first. Something bad will happen to her, an innocent cat." "Wait what will happen?" My question went unanswered, as he was beginning to fade away. Mousedung! StarClan is so confusing.

        Except from the dream, everything was easy and normal, I went out every day at dawn for battle training and hunting practice with Willowpelt, cleaned out the elders den and searched them for ticks, this wasn't very fun, but at least I got to know them and listen to stories.I had become friends with Firepaw, Graypaw, Ravenpaw, and, maybe Sandpaw, though I still wasn't really accepted into the clan. "Don't worry about it," Firepaw meowed. "Neither am I."

        I padded out of the camp with Willowpelt, Lionheart, Graypaw, Tigerclaw, Ravenpaw, Bluestar, and Firepaw. I sniffed the air and detected mouse. I got in the hunting crouch, softly moving my paws swiftly and quietly. I was downwind, the perfect place. I pounced killing the mouse with a quick bite to the neck. "Great catch Mistpaw!" My heart pounded. Ravenpaw had complemented me! His meow was followed by many others. We padded back to camp jaws laden with fresh kill. I was carrying a mouse, a sparrow, and a vole.

        Tonight was the full moon! It was going to be my first gathering. "I'm so excited, it's going to be my fist gathering!" I meowed to Graypaw, jumping up and down. At moon high, we took off towards FourTrees. I padded next to Willowpelt and Spottedleaf. Their pelts shined in the moonlight. I talked to my mom about my time. Bluestar yowled and we ran down the hill. I immediately searched the crowd for apprentices to talk to.

        I bumped into a light brown tabby apprentice. "Watch where you're going." He growled at me. "So-sorry!" I stuttered backing away. I raised my tail and dashed towards my mom. I turned around once I was next to her. I tried not to make any cat suspicious, but it may have raised a few whiskers. Oh well. I looked in the tabby's direction. His eyes had softened and he was staring at me and Spottedleaf. He started walking towards us and I hid on the other side of my mom. "What?" She stared at the tabby. I came out and confronted the tabby. "Sorry I bumped into you." I said. "I'm sorry I snapped at you." he replied. "I'm Mistpaw." "I'm Littlepaw" I was beginning to like this cat. "I'm in ThunderClan, which clan are you in?" "I'm from ShadowClan." After a small conversation, Littlepaw walked over to the other apprentices. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Clawface staring at us jealously.

        The Clan leaders yowled, announcing the gathering was starting. Bluestar stepped forward. "All is well in ThunderClan. We have two more apprentices here tonight, Mistpaw and Firepaw." ThunderClan was cheering the names though there was mummuring around the clearing. "I haven't heard of any cat in ThunderClan named Firepaw and Mistpaw. Where do they come from?" A RiverClan elder was muttering to a ShadowClan warrior. I need to talk to Yellowfang...I need to talk to her. Come on! Finally, Crookedstar, the last to speak, stepped back and they all muttured about themselfes.

         I ran to where the medicine cats sat. I found a grayish yellow longhaired she-cat with a broad flat face. Was this Yellowfang? I questioned myself. Yes it is, I finally decided. "Are you Yellowfang, medicine cat of ShadowClan?" I started hurriedly, because the clan's were gathering up. "I'm Mistpaw and Raggedstar, from StarClan, told me something bad was going to happen to you and I have to help, only me. I have to go, bye Yellowfang!" I raced off towards my mother leaving Yellowfang looking at me with her head cocked questioningly.

        The next day I woke up and had a big stomach ache. I slowly padded to the medicine cat den. "Spottedleaf, Spottedleaf." I croaked. I padded in the den and asked her, "Mother, what's going on?" "Let me check," she replied. "You have a bad ache beneath your flank. I believe you have food poisoning from what you ate yesterday." "Take some Yarrow, go to the dirt place and chew and swallow. I padded out with the yarrow in my mouth. Spottedleaf followed. "I don't want to eat this disgusting herb." I thought. I chewed and swallowed. Then I threw up lots of green and yellow slime. "Spottedleaf can I talk to you?" She nodded. We padded inside her den and I told her about Raggedstar and Yellowfang, word for word. Spottedleaf sat in front of me tail twitching. "Well, for today, you should rest. Whenever you feel, actually feel, that you need to help her, that starclan is willing you to, you can. Do it secretly and make sure no one but her sees you." I nodded, meowed my thanks padded over to the apprentices den and slept.

        "You have to go now, now is the time." I jerked awake. I peeked my head out making sure no cat was there. "The dawn patrol must be going soon, I need to watch out." I thought to myself. I dashed out of the den and raced through the dirt tunnel. I reached the Thunderpath. I padded quickly across and rolled in the bushes and mud. "That will cover my scent." I murmured. Dawn patrol! I raced up the closest tree and peeked over the branch. The five ShadowClan warriors and kit/apprentices walked along the border remarking the scent markers and then racing off to the RiverClan border.

        Slowly, I climbed down the tree and raced towards the strongest ShadowClan smell, leading to the camp. I was near the camp, I knew it. I climbed up a pine tree that overlooked the camp. "Did you kill my kits?" Brightflower, Yellowfang's mother, yowled stalking up to Yellowfang accusingly. "I didn't kill the kits!" Yellowfang meowed. "What you have done, is so terrible, I have to ban you from ShadowClan." Brokenstar growled. Nutwhisker, Rowanberry, Newtspeck, and Runningnose defended her. "She would never do that!" "You mean live outside the camp like the elders?" "No, you are too dangerous, by dawn, if you are on our territory, all warriors will chase you out as intruders." Brokenstar ordered. Runningnose tried to defend her, but Yellowfang cut him off hissing, "This is not the type of clan I'd like to serve." With that, Yellowfang stalked off.

        I scrambled down the tree and raced after Yellowfang. I walked behind Yellowfang without her knowing until we crossed the border onto ThunderClan territory. "Yellowfang!" I meowed.  Yellowfang spun around claws unsheathed. "Sorry! It's just I-I saw what Brokenstar did and I think you can be accepted into ThunderClan as and honored medicine cat." I murmured. "Oh...it's you, Mistpaw." Yellowfang murmured sliding her claws back in. I perked up. "Follow me!" I ran off every so often looking back to see if Yellowfang was following. I came to the stream outside of camp. "A cat will find you here. There's lots of prey and until a cat finds you and brings you to camp, you can catch what you like." Yellowfang bowed her head. I walked away, then turned. "I hope you will join ThunderClan."

        I licked myself clean out of sight and caught a thrush to make me look like I didn't do anything. I padded into camp and laid the thrush on the freshkill pile which was already full. I padded over to Ravenpaw, Graypaw, and Firepaw. "When do you think our warrior ceremony will be?" Graypaw asked me. "Well, I think it will happen soon, but not too soon." I replied sitting down. "What do you want to work on today?" I questioned. "Battle training." They replied. "Sorry, I just remembered, I have to work for the grumpy elders now." I let out an irritated hiss and padded off towards the fresh kill pile.

        I picked up my thrush and brought it to the elders den. I dragged it inside, and while they ate I cleaned out their bedding. "I think their apprentice testing will be soon." One-eye said. "Yes, I think those apprentices are ready. Especially Mistpaw, she has worked really hard ever since she came. Halftail replied flicking his tail at me. I collected all the bedding and dumped it in the dirt place. I walked to the medicine den and picked up fresh moss. Bluestar was ordering Firepaw to hunt next to the stream. He was going to find Yellowfang! What would he do? Suddenly she was a little scared did she do the right thing? "Sweety, you did the right thing, you may not know it, but you did, you definitly did. You helped a cat who will help you and ThunderClan later in life, when I'm gone." Spottedleaf told me. "Now go and place that moss in the elders den. I went back to the elders den and placed the moss. When I exited I heard yowling. Firepaw found Yellowfang, and they were in trouble.