Chapter 22

Spring break was coming up and it just didn’t seem to be arriving fast enough.

I hadn’t been bothered by Francis and is crew – or anyone, really, ever since Evan hinted at me being his mate two weeks ago.

There had been no news from the police station either about my father; however the necklace still lay peacefully in my pocket.

For once, everyone’s attention had averted from me. The entire town was buzzing about a new girl who’d arrived just days ago.

I didn’t know why, but I guessed it was because she’d wowed them all at one of the training days.

At least somebody was making a good impression.

“I’m sorry I’m late,” I apologized the moment I finally stumbled into class, five minutes after the bell. I’d forgotten to set my alarm, so I ended up having to rush through my daily routine. 

My hair was a mess and I was pretty sure my skirt was on backwards but Whitney wasn't here to critisize my fashion choices so I figured I was okay.

Mrs Dubose glanced at me from her sheet of paper and smiled. Thankfully, this was a teacher who always had a bit of a soft spot for me.

“Well, you’re here now. I won’t give you a detention, but unfortunately it looks as though Rosie has your seat.”

My usual seat for biology was currently occupied by a red haired girl I’d never seen before in my life. She was so pretty I actually grimaced.

Zack was sitting right beside her, but he wasn’t looking at me like he usually did when I entered the room. He was talking to her, making her look as if she was vaguely blushing with a smile on her lips.

Even though I had no idea who she was, I couldn't help but think how good they looked together. The perfect family-esque picture.

“Not a problem, I was tripling people up anyway and it looks as though you’re with Zack and Rosie.” The teacher added after taking a long peek at her sheet of paper.

I frowned. Frankly, they were the last two people I wanted to group up with, especially since they seemed to have already formed their own bond. Nevertheless, I headed my way through to the back of the classroom where they sat.

“If you gave me a chance, you could see exactly how long it takes for me to crush you in spearing.” Rosie smirked at him. She had the type of face that told me she had boys drooling at her feet. Flawless skin, heart-shaped and to die for.

“What do you say?”

Zack started laughing. “I don’t hit girls.”

“No?” She raised a perfectly shaped eyebrow, amusement still playing in her eyes. “Isn’t that something boys say when they know they’re just going to get embarrassed?”

I looked between them like I was watching a tennis match. I honestly couldn’t tell if they were flirting or not, but she was certainly putting up a fight compared to his other victims. Their banter was causing an unsettling feeling in my stomach.

Jealousy.

They continued with their conversation over the next few minutes, both having completely tuned me out. As the teacher had left the room without telling us our assignment, I had no choice but to sit quietly.

I also realised that I wasn’t jealous, per se. Well, I was, but that wasn’t the strange feeling in my stomach. It was getting heavier, more painful.

Something was happening to me.

On the day of the new moon you will have finally shifted, he has predicted it.