Chapter 9

“How about this?”

“Um … No thanks-”

“Okay, then this is perfect.”

“Whitney, I’m going on a date, not on a job interview as a stripper.”

Whitney huffed, dropping the short red to the bed and on top the dozen other dresses laid out from her wardrobe. “Well, you have to pick something!”

After telling her about my date with Eustace just after school, she’d rushed me over to her house and insisted on dolling me up since I clearly had ‘no taste’.

And now, not only was I regretting saying yes to the date, but also letting it leak to Whitney. She was obsessing about how I had to make a great impression, which meant dressing in extremely skimpy outfits such as miniskirts and low V-neck tops.

“I just don’t understand why you chose Eustace of all people,” She muttered, flinging a dark green gown out of her closet. “I mean, out of all the guys out of school that would love to see you in their bed, you choose that dork.”

“He’s not a dork, he’s really nice.” I retorted, frowning to myself.

“Hart, you don’t even know what guys are like. He’s only nice because he’d love to get into your pants.”

“That’s not true, Whitney-”

“Anyway,” She sauntered over, her bright blue eyes gleaming. “We have an hour, and I’m going to make you look as cute as possible.”

She pulled out a chair from her dresser. “So shut up and let me do my work, Hart.”

- 1 Hour Later -

“This it too much.” I mumbled, staring at myself in the mirror. “It’s just a date, this is way too much!”

“Stop whining, he’s here now so it’s too late to change!”

Whitney hurried me down the stairs, almost making me slip out of my sleek high heels. The doorbell had only rung a few seconds ago, but my stomach was already squeezing in angst.

“Now go open it, and you’d better spill the details as soon as you get back.” Whitney hissed, shoving me towards the entrance. I frowned at her and was about to argue, but quickly decided against.

I slowly opened the door, quickly shifting my expression to a smile as soon as I got a glance of my date. Eustace was dressed in a smart looking, long sleeved shirt and a pair of dark blue jeans.

“Wow,” He looked me over with wide eyes, and then quickly cleared his throat. “Um, Rochelle, you look … um …”

Somewhere in my mind, I knew Whitney would be smirking at his reaction. She’d spent so long on straightening my hair and picking out the dress I had on; I noted down to thank her once I got back.

The dress itself was pretty and not over the top, or too out of reach for me. We’d finally agreed on a nice blue sleeveless and strappy dress after ten minutes of arguing, as soon as she finally gave in.

I laughed nervously, taking his arm. “Thanks, that’s really sweet! You don’t look too bad yourself!”

He blushed and mumbled a quiet ‘thanks’, but I could easily spot the small smile on his lips.

Tonight was going to be an interesting night.

After a short journey in his car, we finally arrived to a crowded yet unfamiliar restaurant a few streets down. Eustace had been a total gentleman the whole way through, opening every door for me and complimenting continuously.