Chapter 16

Nathan stood looking at us – or rather, glaring at Zack – from the top of the stairs. Why did they both have to follow me up when I was just going to the bathroom?

“Rochelle, what’s going on here?” Nathan asked again, this time rephrasing the question. His cold brown eyes shifted over to me and widened questioningly. I all of a sudden regretted bringing him along, but at the time I had no idea who else to go to when I got the call to see the council.

“It’s really none of your business, Nathan.” I retaliated, watching as his eyebrows furrowed into a frown. His whole stance suddenly turned intimidating and detached as he stared me down.

Before this moment, I’d never back talked to him in my life.

“If it involves you, then it’s always my business,” He responded coolly. “And I asked you a question; what is going on?”

I was feeling annoyed - angry even. Nathan never ever took the role of the big brother unless it was to scare boys away. Other than that, he either forgot I existed or completely ignored me.

“We were making out, and then you came over.” I said, the words having poured out my mouth before I could even think about it. “Is that what you wanted to know? Are you glad you asked?”

I could feel Zach staring at me, but I ignored the temptation to glance at him. My eyes were locked with Nathans in a deadly staring contest and I did not plan on looking away first. He had his fists clenched and did not look happy at all, but I didn’t care.

I was sick of being monitored about what guys I dated by him, even if I’d never really had a proper boyfriend. Eustace was a lucky escape, since I presumed Nathan thought he was too uncool to try anything with me.

“She got lost. I was just showing her where the bathroom is.” Zach said evenly. We both turned our attention to him, and I noticed he was now looking at Nathan. Although he did have an effortless smile on his face, I noticed his eyes looked calculating, like he was trying to look through Nathan.

“We weren’t doing anything together, if that’s what you’re worried about.”

“Sure looked like something,” My brother replied with just a hint of malice dripping into his tone. I narrowed my eyes at him, but he ignored me. “Rochelle doesn’t usually get that close up with anyone.”

A few years ago, it was Esther that Nathan was always protective about. She’d used to be very virtuous and pristine, as crazy as it sounded. But as soon as the hormones hit she was out partying every week or getting to third base with the first cute guy she saw at the mall. And I guess that was when Nathan turned to me.

He’d never really bothered me much when I was fourteen years old and in a relationship with Zach, probably because we were too young to do anything or maybe because Zach was the heir to Alpha.

I had no idea why he decided to care now.

“Zach is so sweet, trying to save my reputation.” I smiled bitterly. “But it’s like I said, we were making out. I don’t understand why you’re so caught up in this.” Just as I brushed past him in an attempt to reach the staircase, Nathan grabbed my wrist.

I was unable to move any further and by the infuriated look on his face he was about to say or yell something at me when Zach gave a low growl. Nathan suddenly looked surprised as his eyes shifted over to Zach.

“I’m trying hard to keep in mind you’re her brother right now, but if you don’t let go of her hand then I might disregard it.”

And gone was his perfect boy, charming act in less than a second.