Chapter 12

Whitney narrowed her perfectly shaped eyebrows at me, crossing her arms across her chest. She was giving me a look that was partly sceptical, but also annoyed.

“I’m lost at what’s going on here; someone want to fill me in?”

“I was asking her a question, and then you came over.” Zack said, still staring at me with those cold eyes. I shifted contact between both of them, unsure of what to respond. Why did she have to appear at the most unfortunate time?

“Oh, really?” Whitney tapped a hot pink nail to her lips, feigning bemusement. “That’s weird because this whole thing between you two didn’t exactly look like a typical conversation.”

I pursed my lips, beginning to feel irritated at her prying. I didn’t want her to know about me and Zack otherwise it would probably be buzzing around the school within five minutes.

Fortunately I didn’t have to be in the situation for long.

Miss Delaware, one of the assistants at the office, poked her head around the corner of the hallway and spotted the three of us out of class without a pass.

“I’m going to let this slide for today,” She said, her black heels clacking against the marble floor as she made her way over towards us. Noticing Zack was part of the trio; she awkwardly tugged at her short pencil skirt and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

I inwardly wondered if he got that type of reaction from all pretty adult women.

“But I don’t want to see you guys out of class again, okay? I just got the notice from Mr Hepburn that three students were missing from class, but I’m sure if you go back now he’ll forget – you know how he is,”

Without waiting for another word, Zack abruptly turned away and strode off. I stared after him nervously; uncertain at which reason it was that he had turned so moody.

“Thanks Miss D, we owe you one.” Whitney chimed into the suddenly awkward silence, flashing an award winning smile at her and then digging her sharp nails into my arm and dragging me away. I didn’t even get the chance to show my appreciation.

“Whitney, stop!” I exclaimed, drilling my heels into the ground so that she had to stop. “I know you’re angry at me, but I don’t understand why?”

She glared at me, her icy blue eyes boring holes into my skin.

“Why? First you come in acting all depressed for a week, and then you stink of sewage pipes, after that you storm out of class and now you’ve suddenly got a thing with Zack, of all guys? I mean, last time I checked, which was like five minutes ago, you were dating Eustace.”

I could only watch in silence as she scrunched her delicate face up in confusion. “I mean, what’s going on with you, Hart?”

“Well, you were to one who said I had to break out of my shell.” I retorted after a moment of racking my brain for appropriate responses. Whitney simply continued staring at me in bewilderment.

“Yeah, I meant go to parties, have a drink every once in a while, maybe have a one night stand. I didn’t mean get a shocking hormonal change and flirt with the future alpha of our pack, which you must be aware by now is the biggest player alive. I mean, you realise he’s probably slept with more girls than you even know, right?”

I sucked in a deep breath, willing not to lose my temper. I wasn’t stupid, in the back of my mind I knew how bad Zack was with girls but for some reason it hurt a lot more coming from someone else. It made me feel nauseous and very much annoyed.

“Whitney, how about you save this lecture for someone who cares. I might have gone out on one date with Eustace, but that doesn’t make us official and not that it’s any of your business, but I wasn’t flirting with Zack. I’m not cheating on anyone if that’s what you’re trying to hint at; I’m not you.”