Chapter 15

Zach’s P.O.V –

“Zach, are you sure about this?”

I looked over at my father who was sitting in his large black seat with a frown plastered across his face. He was always so obsessive about checking over decisions more than once.

“Yeah. She told me about it herself.”

“No,” He spared a glance at the other council members who were busy deep in their own discussion and then back at me. I noticed the wrinkles appearing on his face, dark hair mixing into grey. Being Alpha of a pack for more than twenty years really took its toll after a while. “I mean, are you sure this is a wise decision on your behalf?”

Before I could ask what he meant by that, one of the maids, Maria, suddenly came rushing into the living room. She looked visibly afraid, no doubt due to being in the company of such high class members of the pack.

“Um, she’s here now, with her brother – should I send them in?” Maria asked, nervously tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. One of the elders barked out a reply and she quickly scrambled back out.

It was really kind of amusing how much control you had in this position.

“This is the girl who has not shifted yet, am I correct?” Arthur Burns, one of the very old members of the pack questioned gruffly whilst slumping down into the leather sofa. “I hear she hasn’t even found her mate yet.”

When Rochelle had told me about her father being a White wolf, I had no choice but to let the rest of the packs council in on the secret. Hiding such a fact would be considered an act of betrayal, and knowing about it meant a higher chance of finding him.

However, I decided to keep the other secret to myself. If anyone else had any idea about Rochelle herself being a White wolf, people would be going crazy about it. Everyone would want to get their hands on her and I just couldn’t allow that.

“Shame, really,” Another voice this time in the form of a female interjected. “She’s really quite the beauty.”

And as if her words didn’t do enough justice, the enticing scent of vanilla and rose suddenly wafted into the room and I found craving it more by the second. After another longest minute of my life, my mate finally arrived.

I clenched my teeth from having to hold myself back from her, just as I always did whenever she was within reach.

Rochelle came into the room with a hesitant step to her walk, and everyone’s attention instantly fell on her. Hazel eyes peeked around from under long dark lashes, and I knew she was taking the sight of everyone in. While it may have come off nonchalant enough for everyone else, it was obvious to me that it took her a lot to completely blank me out.

Not that I minded much. That never lasted long.

“Rochelle dear, don’t be shy, come on in!” Edwin Leighton, the very nice elderly man with a tuft of grey hair on his head greeted sweetly. He’d been the beta when my grandfather reigned, and remained close with my family even after his passing.

Clearly reluctant, she shuffled over with Nathan hanging by her side. Her step-brother and I never really got along much. I always suspected it was because he felt I’d taken his place in her life three years ago – also probably one of the reasons he was so protective over whom she dated.

This was pretty pointless on his behalf. There was no way she’d have dated any guys while I was away.  She couldn’t have.

“Is everything okay?” Rochelle asked, her silk like voice breaking me out of my thoughts. She smiled politely at everyone except me and despite the situation, I smirked to myself. She couldn’t keep that up all day. “I got a call the Alpha wanted to see me; did I do something wrong?”