Chapter 19

It was exactly two minutes after Zack had graced me with his presence that I finally decided it was time to turn and meet his hot gaze.

"What?" I said sharply. I had felt him staring at me since he had sat down. At first I tried ignoring it but after the first minute I figured enough was enough.

He raised his eyebrow at me. "Just wondering if you had a pencil."

Sighing, I quickly rummaged through my bag and pulled out a HB pencil. I then placed it firmly on his desk, hoping that would be enough to satisfy him for the rest of the lesson.

"I think I need a sharpener as well."

I frowned at him. "It's sharp."

"Really?" Zack picked up the pencil and pressed it hard against the desk. The pointed led end broke off in one large piece. He glanced at me again, smiling devilishly. "Doesn't look like it."

After staring at him for a full five seconds, wondering if it was worth it, I finally fished out a sharpener from my bag and once again placed it on his desk.

"Wait, I don't think I know how to use a sharpener," He said with a frown. "You might have to give me another pencil instead."

This time, I smiled wryly. It was quite clear he was trying to be as annoying as possible, and succeeding.

"Go to hell." I whispered sweetly, keeping the smile on my lips. Zack responded with a low whistle, smirking to himself. It irritated me to no end, but I wasn't surprised.

"Is something the matter over there? Zack, Rochelle?" Mrs Dubose said, narrowing her eyes at us through those wiry glasses.

I sat up straight, getting ready to blurt out some excuse when Zack beat me to the punch.

"Actually," He began, causing everyone's eyes to fall on him, as per usual. "I was just asking for a pen. I don't think Rochelle wants to give me one, though."

Immediately hands shot up holding all kinds of pens in colours black and blue.

"You can have my pen, Zack,"

"Take mine, I have loads!"

"I have black, blue and red-"

"Rochelle, please." The teacher sighed, realising Zack was still staring at me, waiting for my offer.

He was such a child.

Reluctantly I took one of my spare pens and handed it to him. It grabbed my attention that his hand seemed to linger over mine as he took it from me, sending a wave of sparks all over my skin.

"Thanks, sweetheart."

I pulled my hand back, giving him a poorly concealed dirty look.

Just then, the door flew open and Eustace stammered in, his eyes wide at all the attention he had suddenly received.

"Yes, Eustace?" The teacher said, clearly annoyed that he had interrupted her mid speech and was now staring blankly at the class. "Do you have something to say?"

"Um..." He looked around the room, fidgeting with his fingers. He eventually met my stare and seemed to calm down slightly. "They're asking for Rochelle..."

"Why?" Zack asked before I could get a word in. Eustace practically crumbled under his gaze, I felt so bad for him in that one moment, even if I was still annoyed with him from the incident where he tried to kiss me.

Shaking his head, he shrugged his shoulders and said, "I really don't know... Something about rogues... Um-"

"Eustace," Mrs Dubose sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Is it absolutely crucial for Rochelle to go? I was just about to go over the nitrogen cycle-"