iv. Moonstone

BLOODLINE
iv. moonstone

IN ALL HONESTY, Erin began to forget what life had been like without the presence of the supernatural

IN ALL HONESTY, Erin began to forget what life had been like without the presence of the supernatural. Were town-wide events always so hectic? Did vampires constantly lurk in the shadows? Had the Founders' Council convened behind closed doors at every chance? Or was Mystic Falls just another boring little town where nothing ever happened?

     Erin couldn't imagine it anymore. Not with the chaos that had become her home. They were lucky to get a few days of peace until the next calamity struck.

     While Jenna's barbecue had been relatively uneventful, the moments that took place after were anything but. Damon made a new enemy in Mason Lockwood with a silver steak knife to the chest. Something werewolves were apparently immune to. A volunteer park restoration and picnic led to Sheriff Forbes almost killing Stefan and Damon, followed by a forced stay in the Salvatore Boarding House cellar.

     And Katherine, her personal brand of anarchy came with a demand toward Elena and Stefan. She wanted their relationship to end. Something neither of them were willing to do. So they faked little fights, knowing that it would get back to Katherine. A truly stupid game to play against the vindictive vampire, but they didn't seem to care about the consequences.

     "Are you sure about this?" Erin questioned, turning in the front seat of her and Elena's car. "I mean, pretending to fight with Stefan? It's not like it's a secret. Too many people know you're faking it."

     Elena sighed from her place behind the wheel. "What else are we supposed to do, Erin? Break up?"

     That would be the most straightforward and logical decision. But Erin came to the realization long ago that Elena and Stefan were far from the logical type.

     Erin just shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe. What if Katherine finds out?"

     Elena shook her head, leaned back against the cloth seat. "I can't think about that. She doesn't get to win, not like this. We can't let her."

     "This is dangerous, Elena," Erin exclaimed toward her hardheaded sister. "Katherine already killed Caroline, and basically made her spy on everyone. We don't know what else she's capable of."

     Erin didn't know what to think when she learned about Caroline's predicament. Katherine threatened her friend, forcing her to keep tabs on them as a way to remain up-to-date on all things Mystic Falls. That meant she was willing to do anything to get what she wanted. Kill, manipulate, lie. They didn't know half of what their vampire ancestor would do if they crossed her.