xxiv. Homecoming

BLOODLINE
xxiv. homecoming

PLANS WERE NOT THE Salvatore brothers' strong suit

PLANS WERE NOT THE Salvatore brothers' strong suit. Not that they would ever admit that to anyone. In fact, they neglected to believe it themselves. Neither Stefan or Damon doubted their ability to brainstorm. Their plans always seemed to turn out just fine, so why would they?

     Erin, on the other hand, thought long and hard about any situation at hand. Always on the lookout for holes in their seemingly flawless plans. And in the end, they were typically far from it. They simply got lucky. Every single time. Their plans weren't foolproof. If anything, they were made by fools.

     And their latest one deemed them the biggest fools of them all.

     To their surprise, Mikael finally made his presence known. Katherine Pierce, who had proposed the idea of waking the desiccated Original, didn't fail in her attempt like they previously thought. He arrived, offering to help kill Klaus.

     That was where Stefan and Damon made their first mistake. It actually extended back to waking Mikael in the first place, but no one else seemed to think so. Erin was alone in that belief.

     After she heard the entire story of the Original Family, Erin knew they made a huge mistake. Mikael wasn't someone they should ally with. He was someone they should want to put down. He was nothing but a man who hunted his own children to the ends of the earth.

     And the moment he stepped foot inside of the Boarding House, Erin felt as though all of the warmth had been sucked out of the air. A coldness followed the man, sending an eerie chill down her spine. She made it a point to put as much distance between him and her as possible.

     "Okay, let's say that Mikael follows Elena here," Stefan proposed, leading them into the library. "He tried to grab her so he could use her as bait."

     "And you what?" Elena questioned as they followed him inside. "Vervained he?"

     "No, we vervained him," Damon corrected, stopping a few feet away from his brother to stand beside Elena. "This guy's an Original. To make it realistic."

     Stefan sighed and leaned against the railing of the library upper section. "Okay, fine. We vervained him, and in the process discovered that he had a dagger."

     "Which he planned to use on Rebekah, but instead..."

     "We drive it through his heart," Stefan finished Elena's addition to the plan.