xxi. Senior Prank Night

BLOODLINE
xxi. senior prank night

SOFT WHISPERS FLOATED across the darkened classroom in the late hours of the night

SOFT WHISPERS FLOATED across the darkened classroom in the late hours of the night. Quiet instructions to operate the delicate mousetraps placed between desks, covering the linoleum floor in ticking time bombs. Erin's brilliant idea that began to grow tiresome and tedious the longer it took to encase the room in its entirety. They wouldn't be doing it a second time.

Erin sat on the ground, slowly pulling the mousetrap's metal clamps apart to set it. The things were difficult at best, and she almost got her finger snapped inside multiple times.

The mousetraps really were a bad idea.

Erin and her friends were nearly halfway done with the classroom when the lights flicked on. The sudden brightness caused her to drop the trap in her hands, landing on another on the floor. It sent off a chain reaction that forced the rest of them to snap in rapid succession.

"Ugh, no!" Erin exclaimed at the sight. All of their hard work was ruined.

"Ohh, come on!" Caroline shouted, jumping up from the floor to whirl toward the intruder. Matt Donovan stood in the doorway, staring at them with narrowed eyes. "Seriously? You know how long it took for us to set all this up?"

Tyler stood and looked toward their friend and grinned. "Forgot about Senior Prank Night, huh?"

Erin, Elena, and Bonnie climbed up to their feet to see Matt, donning athletic clothes and drenched in sweat. He must've been in the weight room.

Matt released a long breath. "Clearly."

"How could you forget?" Caroline questioned in disbelief. "We've only been waiting for this since, like freshman year."

Elena hopped onto a desk and pointed at the Donovan boy with the flashlight in her hand. "Yeah, Matt. If I'm doing this, you're doing this."

"I'm kind of surprised any of you are doing this," Matt replied, glancing between them all.

"Caroline's making us," Bonnie supplied, bringing the blonde to shoot her a slight look of halfhearted annoyance.

"We're about to be seniors," Caroline declared. "These are the memories that will stay with us forever, and if we don't..."

"And if we don't create these memories now, then what's the point of it all?" Erin and Elena interjected, finishing their friend's speech that brought them all there in the first place.