xxxiv. The Council

BLOODLINE
xxxiv. the council

HOSPITALS WERE THE literal bane of Erin Gilbert's existence

HOSPITALS WERE THE literal bane of Erin Gilbert's existence. Her mentality that nothing good came of them continued to ring true as she sat atop the hard lumpy mattress, glaring at the closed door across from the bed. More so, the nurse who just vacated the room.

Twelve hours. Erin had been trapped inside the four walls of the hospital room for twelve hours, seething from her forced confinement. She wanted to go home. She needed to go home. Elena was there, recently dead and newly transitioning into a vampire. She needed her to be with her.

Instead, Meredith Fell had other plans.

Despite getting her out of Matt's submerged truck in time, Stefan was forced to perform CPR on Erin's unconscious and waterlogged body. It didn't take much for her to cough up the water she breathed into her lungs, but the action still caused its own problems.

Erin suffered a sore throat and bruising on her ribs. Nothing life threatening, but Meredith wanted to keep her under observation for a few days. A decision Erin despised.

Elena was at home, suffering far worse. Within the remainder of the day, she would have to feed to complete her transition into a vampire. Something Erin knew for a fact her sister never wanted. She had to be there for her, and she couldn't do that stuck inside of a hospital room.

When the door across from her creaked open, Erin leaned up from the raised portion of the bed. She sighed in relief at the sight of Jeremy, scrambling up to grab him in a hug. Jeremy wrapped his arms around her back, holding her close to his chest.

"I'm so sorry about what Matt and I did," Jeremy exclaimed as he continued to embrace her. "I should've just talked to you and Elena. I didn't - I didn't think."

"Hey," Erin voiced, pulling back to meet his eyes. "Don't do that. What happened wasn't your fault, do you hear me?"

Jeremy sighed, lowering his arms to his sides. "I know. I just - Elena died. You almost died."

"But Elena will be fine," Erin countered, trying her best to reassure her brother. "She'll become a vampire, and Damon and Stefan will help her adjust. She'll be okay."

"Unless she doesn't," Jeremy replied, bringing her to look at him with furrowed brows. "Bonnie thinks she can help. She said when I was shot, she made some plea to the witch spirits to bring me back, and they listened."

Erin blinked at the onslaught of information. Bonnie wanted to try and reverse what happened to Elena? How was that even possible? She never heard of something like that happening before.