Chapter Thirty-Three

Grange and his pack stayed in the woods and made a circle around the dark buildings and sleeping townsfolk. Grange hadn’t wanted to risk the sheriff noticing them and trying to stop them, since the man seemed to do that often. He always wanted to check in on the ‘odd’, ‘strange’ and ‘make-believe’, trouble that might be brewing.

They were too close to home to be stopped now. Grange’s hands itched to touch his sons soft cheeks and his arms wanted to cradle the boy against his chest. For all his toughness and his rugged exterior, Grange knew that he was a family man through and through.

He knew that Dawn was equally as eager to see the boy and that Nickolai and Trig were eager to get home and see their mates.

Everyone was more than ready to be home. It was the middle of the night and they were all exhausted but they hadn’t stopped that evening to rest, knowing they’d make it home sooner if they just kept going. Grange was lost in his thoughts of home and so was startled when he heard a voice beside him.

“Grange.” Nickolai’s voice was quiet, almost a whisper as the wolf brought his horse up next to Grange’s. Dawn had her arms wrapped tight around Grange’s middle and her head resting sleepily against his back.

“What?” Grange asked with a frown. It wasn’t like Nickolai to look worried and the wolf looked worried just now.

“Do you smell that?”

Grange took a deep breath and Dawn pulled away from him as his entire body stiffened.

“Brendon!” Grange growled, ignoring Dawn who was asking who the unfamiliar scent filling the air belonged to.

Brendon rode up quickly. The look on his face telling Grange all he needed to know even before he spoke. “That’s him, Grange. That’s the pup that wanted me to kill you.”

“Grange! He’s probably at the cabins! The babies!” Dawn exclaimed. Grange’s roar of anger seemed to bounce off of the trees around them and then he urged the horse into a gallop, wasting no time. He had a strong feeling that time was something his son was about to run out of.

***

Brie and Farrah slowly opened the cabin door and stepped out onto the porch.

The five male werewolves stood, unshifted, in the front yard. Their hands were down by their sides, their fingers hanging lose and relaxed, and their stance wide legged as they stared up at the two women. They appeared unconcerned by the shotgun clutched in Brie’s shaking hands.

“Why hello there.” one of the men said with a smile as he stepped forward. It was clear from his scent that he was the boss of this group.

“Y..You all need to leave now. We have nothing here for you.” Brie warned, hating the way that her voice trembled. She guaranteed that Dawn’s voice wouldn’t have shown the smallest sign of a tremor. She had seen just how tough the alpha female was when they had been locked up together at Faugrimm’s castle.