Chapter Twenty-Five

“Grange, the pack is too beat up. We have to wait.” Blain argued calmly as the Grange paced the floor of Nickolai and Brie’s cabin.

One full day had passed since the Hunters had attacked. Since Ella had been taken and since Grange had nearly died changing the girl, Maggie.

Maggie was still asleep and fevered in the bed. Grange knew she would live but her body was fighting against the wolf and she needed time before she would awaken.

Dawn was nearly healed, a welcome side effect of being a nursing mother. It ramped up the healing of her body in an effort to protect the child. A child wasn’t safe if its mother was too wounded to fight off threats.

Grange was already nearly healed as well. He suspected it was his alpha blood that was healing him so quickly. He had noticed that he had been growing stronger.

Trig, Farrah and Brie were all uninjured. Anika’s arm was in a brace and the bones would need at least one more day to knit together. Blain’s leg was in need of another day or so as well. Nickolai had only had superficial wounds and they were gone, other than a few bruises that still lingered.

“We don’t have time to wait.” Grange growled. “They have Ella. They will kill her. I gave my word to Brendon that we she would be safe with the pack. We have to go after her.”

“Grange is right.” Dawn said as she stepped forward. “We have to save her.”

Grange growled and turned on her. “We aren’t doing anything. You are staying here.” Dawn glared at him.

“I will not.” she stated. “Brie is staying and I’m sure Farrah will as well. They can watch Creed. I am going with you.”

“And what will Creed eat?” Grange asked with a raise of his brow.

“Goats milk.” Dawn replied matter of factly. Grange wanted to argue with her. He wanted to tell her that she had to stay behind but he knew that would be pointless.

She wasn’t the fragile flower he had once thought she was. She was tough, she could handle herself in a fight and she would never let him ride off toward danger without coming along to watch his back.

“How are we going to find the compound?” Nickolai asked as he came out of the bedroom. Grange looked over his shoulder and saw Brie curled up in the bed, her arm wrapped around the restless girl.

“I know it’s west. In the mountains. Miles from everything.” Grange offered as he pinched the bridge of his nose between his fingers.

“Ella said it would take Brendon close to a week to reach.” Farrah spoke up. She hadn’t taken her hands off of her stomach since the attack. It was as if she thought she could shield her unborn child from all the stress and danger around it.

“The way Brendon rides that means it would be a good week and a half at a regular pace.” he said with an irritated sigh.

“I know where it is.” Blain said stepping forward. “I’ve been there before.”

“You have?!” Anika asked with shock. Blain nodded, his dark eyes looking a bit haunted.

“Before I joined our pack as an adult, my parents were arrested by the council. I was with them, though I was only a child.” Blain had been looking at Anika while he spoke but now he looked away and stared hard at the wall. “The Council killed my parents in front of me, for crimes they did not commit, and then they released me to fend for myself….”

“So you can get us there?” Grange questioned. “After all this time you sure you remember how to get there?”

Blain nodded, his eyes clearly seeing memories of the past. “I’ll never forget.”