Chapter Nineteen

Brendon knew that he was pushing the limits of his friendship with the wolf and risking his own neck but he had to. He had to use some kind of leverage to get Grange to help him and since Dawn wasn’t outside he couldn’t use her.

“I can deal with whoever comes. I don’t need any new members of my pack.” Grange said matter of factly without turning back around to face him.

Brendon sighed and dismounted his horse, leaving Maggie on the saddle. He walked toward Grange but stopped when he heard the wolf growl.

“Who is she?” Grange asked in a low voice. Brendon looked back at Ella who was staring straight at Trig, her nostril’s widening.

“What is it, Ella?” Brendon asked.

“I smell something familiar.” she replied simply.

“I don’t like her staring at me.” Trig whispered as he took a little step back, using Nickolai as cover. “She gives me the heebiejeebies.”

“What do you smell?” Brendon asked again.

“Faugrimm.”

“I told you that I killed Faugrimm.” Brendon countered as Brie and Anika both took a sharp intake of breath and Grange snorted.

“He had help.”

“I smell someone familiar but she isn’t out here.”

“Farrah.” Nickolai replied and Ella nodded.

“Yes, that was her name.”

“What do you want with my mate?” Trig growled as he stepped around Nickolai and toward Ella. Brendon met him halfway, the threat to Trig clear in his body language.

“Back off, pup.” Brendon warned.

Brendon noticed the look that passed between Nickolai and Grange and then the alpha stepped forward.

“Take the girl inside and get her something to eat.” he said to Brie. “You,” Grange pointed to Brendon. “Come with me. We need to talk.”

Brendon watched Brie walk to Maggie and Ella scrambled from her horse and quickly ran to him as he and Grange began to walk away.

“Where are you going?” she demanded. Brendon knew that Grange was watching them closely, assessing the situation.

“I have to go talk to Grange. I’ll be back, Ella. Just stay with Maggie. Go on in and meet the rest of the pack. This is going to be your home.”

“It is?” Grange questioned as he crossed his arms over his chest.

“Can we trust these wolves?” Ella asked, ignoring Grange.

“You said you know Farrah, right?” Brendon asked and Ella nodded. “She trusts them. I trust them.”

Brendon searched Ella’s eyes and saw the conflict.

“If you trust them then I will trust them.” she finally relented. Brendon nodded, kissed her lightly and then remembered he was being watched.

“Go on now.” he ordered Ella and then he turned his back to her and began to walk into the woods. “You comin’?” he called over his shoulder to Grange and the wolf said nothing but followed after him with Trig, Nickolai and Blain on his heels.

“Just Grange.” Brendon added and Grange looked back at his fellow wolves and nodded. They stopped and Brendon and Grange continued on their way away from Grange’s cabin.

***

“Who is she to you?” Grange asked once the two of them were a short distance from Grange’s cabin.