Chapter Twenty-Four

Ella could feel the wind in her hair and the sun on her skin and yet her mind was not on those things. It was not on the water that she could hear lapping against the edge of the shore as Trig splashed around the lake and Nickolai taught Maggie to swim, despite her bad foot.

The girl was actually doing much better and didn't seem to be in as much pain since Nickolai began working with her. The six weeks that they had been with the pack had been good for Maggie. She was gaining weight and finally growing taller.

They had been good for Ella as well, who had come more and more out of her shell and open to the pack members. There was only one thing that still weighed heavily on Ella every day. One thing that caused her to have doubts and dark thoughts.

Brendon had not once sent word.

He had admitted to her that it would take him a week or so to reach the compound but that he would send word as soon as he was settled in to let her know what was going on.

Nothing. She had received nothing. Not a single word.

Reaching in her dress pocket, Ella pulled out the letter that Brendon had left for her when he had snuck out in the night.

Ella didn’t blame him for leaving while she slept and was almost grateful that he had. She could only imagine how painful it would have been to say goodbye and watch him ride away.

She found that she was feeling more things now. She could feel sadness, fear, hate, anger, amusement, joy and even happiness now. She had begun smiling more and more and had even laughed once when Nickolai and Trig had gotten into an argument and Maggie had punched Trig hard in the groin for calling Nickolai a ‘hard ass’.

She had been told by Brie that it wasn’t really the best thing to laugh over and that children shouldn’t be encouraged to commit violent acts but Ella had laughed anyway. To her, it had been funny.

She missed Brendon. She wanted him to see how much better she was doing. She knew he would be proud of her. If he were here she would be complete.

Ella unfolded the wrinkled and worn letter. She had read it enough times to have the words memorized but still she liked seeing his handwriting and so she would pull it out and look at it several times a day.

Ella,

You may be mad that I chose to leave while you were sleeping….again. That seems to be a habit of mine. What can I say? I care too much about you to leave you any other way.

I don’t know when I will get to see you again so there are some things I want to make sure you know. I love you, Ella. With all my heart. You stole it and I don’t want it back. You can keep it forever just so long as you don’t break it, honey.

I’ve never had feelings like this for anyone. Life has always been hunting and the council but now when I look in my future I see something else. I see you and I sharing a cabin, a life. I see me waking up with you in my arms every morning.

That’s what I see in my future, Ella and it’s the best future I’ve ever pictured.

So just remember, until I’m able to hold you in my arms again, that I am yours. You are my captor. You have my unfailing loyalty and devotion.

Yours Always,

Brendon

Ella put the creased paper to her nose and breathed in the scent. She could still smell the smallest trace of Brendon in the folds. The tiniest hint of sandalwood and horse.

“How are you doing?” Dawn asked, interrupting Ella’s daydreams of Brendon. Ella sighed as the other woman settled down on the grass beside her and then covered her chest with a blanket as she allowed Creed to suckle his lunch.