Chapter Twenty-Eight

The three remaining guards, that had been holding Brendon, attacked then, rushing at Grange. Grange turned, swinging the broadsword he held in his hands in a wide arc and slicing open the gut of one guard while the other two sunk low to avoid the blade and then jumped back.

The two guards now standing off with Grange were Hunters but Brendon had seen Grange fight angry before and knew the wolf could handle it. Brendon had to find a way to get these chains off of him and Ella so they could help fight their way out as well.

Movement by the door caught Brendon’s attention and he saw the bruised and beaten guard that had run in moments before, pull his black powder revolver, taking aim at Ella.

Brendon stepped in front of her and prepared himself for the pain of the bullet, only to feel shocked when Peter, whom he had forgotten was even in the room, dropped one sledgehammer sized fist onto the top of the guards head, dropping him unconscious to the floor.

Peter shouldered his axe and cross the room quickly to Brendon, who tensed, unsure if he could trust the giant demon.

Peter winked again, causing Brendon to know he was going to have to have a talk with the demon about how often grown men should wink at each other. The oversized man raised his axe high and then brought it down hard on the chains around Brendon’s ankles, breaking them cleanly.

“I’d be happy to do your hands too if you hold them out.” Peter stated with a grin.

The yelling in the compound was getting closer. The occasional gun shot sounded but mostly it was primal screams and clanking swords. Black powder weapons just weren’t very practical in hand to hand combat. They took too long to reload.

“Dammit! Where’d they go!” Grange’s angry voice growled just as Brendon and Ella were freed from their chains. The wrist and ankle bracelets were still attached but they could move freely now.

Brendon looked up to the desk to realize that the councilmen were gone. Grange had killed the Hunters, and judging by the amount of blood splashed across Grange’s black shirt and the puddles of it pooled around the Hunter’s bodies, Grange had killed them quite thoroughly.

“Overkill?” Brendon asked with a quiet chuckle, his arms snaking around Ella and holding her tight.

Grange looked over at Brendon and let out another growl.

“I recognized them. They were with the Hunters that attacked the pack.”

“The council would have slipped through the hidden passage.” Brendon said matter of factly as he pointed toward the banner that hung from the ceiling and stretched to the floor just behind the desk. “And is the pack okay?”

“Fine.” Grange said with a quick nod. “You both okay?”

Brendon looked down at Ella and she looked up at him and nodded.

“Yeah, we’re okay.”

The yelling suddenly grew louder and a mass of bodies came pouring through the council room door.

Guards and Hunters, a lot of them, running for their lives.

The guards saw their dead brothers on the floor and stopped in their tracks. Rage contorted their features and then they attacked.

“Time to go to work.” Brendon muttered. Shock filled him when he heard Ella let out an angry hiss and then leap through the air, jumping from one attacker to the next, ripping out throats and tearing open flesh.

“Can’t let her have all the fun.” Grange growled and Brendon nodded in agreement just before the two men jumped into the bloody fray.

Brendon had never given much thought to killing another Hunter. They were his brothers. They were like him.