Chapter Eighteen

Brendon was getting too old for this. He groaned as he covered his face with his hand to block out the sunlight currently beating down on it. His body felt as if he’d been run over by an entire herd of overweight buffalo. He preferred being run over by the skinny ones.

“I think he’s waking up.” Brendon heard a young voice whisper. It sounded almost hopeful.

Where the hell was he and what the hell had happened?

He opened his eyes, squinting at the early morning sunlight and then he heard a cry of relief, saw a flash of red and then a body was flung against him.

Arms circled his neck, a face pressed against his chest and a soft body lay against the rest of him. He breathed deep, taking in the scent of herbs and his memory came flooding back.

“Ella.” Relief filled him as he wrapped his arms around her and held her close. She was alive. He had saved her. Then he realized she was crying. Sobbing actually. The tears were silent but her entire body shook with them.

He kissed her messy hair and gently stroked her bare arm with his fingers.

“Ella, honey, why are you crying?” he whispered as he sat up and pulled her with him. He glanced over by the fire, which he realized they must have kept going because he had been asleep at least overnight given the morning sun. Maggie was sitting there with a smile on her face as she watched them. Brendon wondered where her fear had went. Had Ella adjusted the girls memory?

“I thought I had killed you too…Just like…my family.” Ella whispered, the words muffled against his blood stiffened shirt. Ella had covered him in blood as he had carried her away from danger.

“I’m alive, honey. You didn’t kill me.”

“Hehe… of course you’re alive silly! We can see you talking!” Maggie exclaimed brightly.

“See me talking…….?” Brendon said slowly and then he just shook his head and chuckled before kissing Ella’s red hair. “Stop with the waterworks now.” he stated. “I’ve never been good at dealing with them.” Ella pulled away but stayed in his lap, though Brendon wasn’t sure if she stayed because she wanted to or it if was just because Brendon’s vice-like grip on her held her firmly in place.

“I could have killed you, Brendon…. Why would you risk that?” Ella asked with a frown. Brendon smoothed her messy hair from her face and kissed her brow.

“You would have died if I hadn’t. I wasn’t willing to let that happen.”

“I want to stay with you. Please let me stay with you.” she pleaded, her eyes looking deep into his own.

“I will take you to the safe place that I’m taking Maggie to. I have to go to the council alone but I will come back to you every chance I get.” Brendon put his hand on her cheek when he saw doubt enter her eyes. “I promise, Ella. I won’t just leave and forget about you.”

“I’m hungry.” Maggie’s voice spoke up and Brendon glanced over at her.

“I’ll have to find us something to eat then.” Brendon replied with a nod. He was hungry too. Starving actually.

He turned his back to Maggie and put his lips close to Ella’s ear.

“Why is she calm now? What happened while I was asleep?”

“I talked to her.” Ella replied simply.

“Talked? Brendon asked with a raise of his brow and Ella nodded. “No mind tricks to make her forget?”