Chapter 11: Pointless to Fight This

Ryan

My head spins so fast I'm worried it might fall off my shoulders. Westlaker is here? Wasn't he supposed to be headed for Hollywood to shoot his big movie? My confusion quickly morphs into fury as I take in Mac's stunned expression.

"Mac, are you okay?" Jazz asks.

"I'm fine. Just... surprised. What could he want with Blainesworth?"

"There's something else I have to tell you," Jazz says.

"Do I need to sit down?"

"On the same day the headline came out about you and Ryan, there was a story about Danny and Angel. They broke up. I would have said something earlier, but I thought you had enough on your plate at the time."

"Right."

"Besides, I wasn't sure whether you would be interested or not..."

"That doesn't explain what Westlaker is doing here," I growl.

For some reason, I can't bear to hear Mac's reply to Jazz's comment. She told me months ago that she was over Westlaker. And I sure as hell hope it's true. I don't want to think about the alternative, that my co-star still harbours feelings for her prick of an ex.

Jazz gives me a pointed look. "Why don't you go find out?"

I know Jazz is just trying to get rid of me so she can speak to Mac privately, but I don't care. It's a damn good idea.

"I think I will," I say.

Exiting the dressing room swiftly, I leave the two women behind without a word. I navigate the hallway and ascend the stairs, finding myself outside Blainesworth's executive office.

A sudden burst of laughter fills the air as the door swings open, revealing Danny Westlaker stepping out.

"It was great to see you again, Mick," Danny says.

Blainesworth's voice follows, "Come back as soon as you've talked to Mackenzie."

It's all I can do not to grab the guy by the collar and tell him that if he so much as puts a foot anywhere near Mac, he can consider himself as good as dead. Westlaker closes the door behind him.

"Hey, how's it going?" he sticks out his hand. "Danny Westlaker."

Though we've both been to the Logies and various after-parties over the years, this is our first real conversation. I never had strong feelings about Westlaker before, but after hearing what he did to Mac, my opinion shifted. Now, I can't stand the guy. The dick in front of me hadn't just treated her badly – he broke her heart.

Not only is it infuriating to me, it's also completely baffling. Mac is pretty much the perfect woman. Sweet-natured, beautiful, caring, and a fine actress to boot. The blonde whom Westlaker dumped her for has nothing on her. Nothing. His loss, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to curl my fingers into my palms and beat him to a bloody pulp.

Maybe it's best I don't ask Westlaker why he's here. The potential for our conversation to end in violence is high. He may look as if he knows the inside of a gym well, but he's two inches shorter. I can take him easily, should it ever come to that. Some of the tension leaves my body.

"I know who you are," I say, ignoring his outstretched hand. "Stay away from Mac."

I leave Westlaker standing there and knock on Blainesworth's door a couple of times before opening it and sticking my head in.

"Ryan, son, come in, come in," Blainesworth waves me in. I know I'm supposed to make an appointment with Amanda, Blainesworth's assistant, for any visit that may last more than a few minutes, but this won't take long.