Chapter 17: Be With Me

Image under licence from Adobe Stock

______________________________

❤️Mac❤️

I stand in the kitchen the next morning, waiting for my toast. The sexy, spicy scent of Ryan's cologne fills the air, intensifying the heat in my belly. It's been a while since a man invited me to stay for sex and breakfast. Danny always found excuses to make me leave the night before, claiming he needed an early morning.

"I think we'll be fine, Mac," Ryan says.

I watch as he spoons coffee and sugar into two mugs. "I don't think it's a good idea."

"I've given you a ride into work plenty of times before."

"Yes, but it's different now."

"Why? Because we had crazy, sweaty sex all night long?" Ryan asks, a knowing smile playing at his lips.

I blush as our eyes meet. Ryan looks incredibly sexy with his dark stubble accentuating his jawline.

"Yes, because we had crazy, sweaty sex all night long."

"You do look like you've been...well loved," he says, his tone smug.

I definitely look and feel a little worn out today. I only slept for two hours before forcing myself out of Ryan's warm and comfortable bed. I hadn't planned to stay the night, so I didn't pack anything to wear this morning. After my shower, Ryan lent me his old sweatpants and a jumper – without underwear.

Getting up and leaving early is my way of ensuring the media doesn't catch wind of our affair. It wouldn't be hard to guess what we've been up to. I can't trust that his neighbours won't whip out their phones and snap a photo of me leaving his house. Staying the night with Ryan was a risky move, but I'd been too consumed by him; too caught up in a whirlwind of pleasure that never let up from the first kiss.

The conversation I promised myself I would have with him never happened. I'm no closer to believing that this could work out between us than I was the night before when we sat down for dinner. Now, the morning brings the harsh reality of my impossible situation. Walking away from everything, from him, would shatter my heart. But if I lose my job as a result, well, wouldn't that shatter me too?

"I know you enjoy taking trams," Ryan jokes, "but you should really let me give you a ride home."

Taking public transport this morning is definitely not an option. I refuse to do the walk of shame in public at seven in the morning, with anyone possibly seeing me with him.

"I need a car," I impulsively say.

He chuckles. "Finally, she admits it. It only took you forever to realize that the Melbourne public transport system isn't all it's cracked up to be."

"It's better for the environment, but yes, you were right. I should have bought a car a while ago."

For the first time, I admit that the novelty of using trams and trains has worn off. I've been delaying the purchase of a car because I'm not confident in my knowledge about them. Ryan seemed the most logical choice to assist with the car shopping, but I've been avoiding him for the past three weeks. I should've asked Matt or Brad for their input; now, my lack of wheels might put me in a tight spot this morning.

"We can go look at cars this weekend if you want. But of course, my expertise doesn't come free," Ryan says, wrapping an arm around my waist and sliding me along the bench until I'm wedged between his legs.

If I'm not photographed with him this morning, there's a good chance we'll be caught together when we go out on the weekend. Clearly, he hasn't considered this.