Chapter 6: Take Me Home

❤️Mac❤️

I rummage through my wardrobe for the perfect outfit for this evening. I'm not sure what I'm looking for until my eyes rest upon the royal blue dress I bought with Jazz a few weeks ago. Its rich blue matches my eyes, and the silk fabric feels nice against my skin in the summer heat. The large dip between my breasts makes it more revealing than the outfits I usually wear, but I know I look good in it.

If Ryan's bringing a date tonight, I'll need that extra boost of confidence. Besides, I plan to go out afterwards. Hopefully, Jazz and Vanessa are in the mood for clubbing.

Ever since I heard about the kiss in next week's script, there's been a ticking time-bomb hanging over my head. Whenever I think about it, longing and need clutch at me. I can't shake off the fantasies about what it will be like. I want that kiss too much. I want to kiss him too much. I'm starting to see I might need my own distraction, someone to take the edge off the desire I feel for my off-limits co-star. If Ryan can date and sleep his way through the whole of Melbourne, why can't I do the same?

I mean, how long has it been since I've been with a man? The desire for physical intimacy is making me restless and edgy. And since sleeping with the person making me feel all these things is not an option, I'll have to come up with another plan. Although Jazz has offered to help set me up with another friend, nothing has come of it yet. And I've been far too busy with work to devote time to finding Mr Right, or even Mr Right-Now.

I need to take matters into my own hands. A one-night stand is something everyone does at least once, isn't it? It's not my thing, but tonight I want to get laid. I open my bedside drawer and find the still unopened box of condoms. I don't know whether to laugh or cry over the fact that they expire in less than a month. I toss them quickly into my handbag before heading out the door.

I arrive at the restaurant five minutes late. As if dragged by some magnetic force, my eyes are drawn automatically to where Ryan is sitting. He's chatting with the blonde next to him, oblivious to my presence. I stand there for a moment in the doorway, drinking in the sight of his masculine perfection. On set, he fills out the suit he wears to perfection. Tonight he sits in a casual green t-shirt with white stripes, looking good enough to make my heart flutter.

My gaze shifts to the woman beside him. I knew seeing Ryan with a date would be challenging. Just hearing about his new relationship had been difficult enough. But witnessing them together? I hadn't truly grasped how painful it would be until this moment. My heart aches as I watch him smile at her.

As if sensing my gaze, Ryan turns to meet my eyes. Fearing his reaction to seeing me here tonight, I quickly avert my gaze and make my way through the bustling restaurant to the table where our group is seated. It's in a secluded corner, and Gino, the owner, always reserves it for us when we dine here.

"Maccas!" Brad exclaims as he stands and gives me a hug. "Far out! You look freaking amazing."

"Thank you," I say, smiling at him.

Jazz hugs me so tightly that I fear I might turn as blue as my dress. As everyone else greets me warmly, some of the tension leaves my body. However, when Ryan hugs me, the tension returns. I don't meet his eyes as I lean into him, feeling the warmth of his embrace. Try as I might to shut out the torrent of emotions, I fail miserably – the yearning from him is overwhelming. Panic and fear claw at me as I wonder if I've made a mistake coming tonight.

No, Mac. You will not stay home and be miserable.

"Mac, this is Cindy-Sue," Ryan says to me, introducing his date.

I smile politely at the woman. There is one upside to Ryan bringing a date tonight, and that is no-one will be able to talk about next week's kiss between Stone and Brianna. Under the confidentiality clause we all signed before working on the show, none of us are allowed to discuss anything related to Hart's Valley off the set. Of course we gossip about things – everyone does — but only among the six of us. The first episode of the new season airs this week, and if the press gets word of Stone and Brianna's new romantic plot before the show goes to air, we will all be in trouble.