Chapter 20: Never Disappoint Me

Image under license from Adobe Stock

________________________________

Ryan

The car ride to Morwell Private Hospital is quiet. Only light rock music plays on the car stereo, disturbing our silence. Mac doesn't attempt any conversation, and I'm grateful for that. I didn't intend to ask her to come along, but when she opened the bathroom door and asked me what was wrong, the answer just slipped out. The truth is, her presence next to mine comforts me.

Now that I have had time to think about it, I wonder if this meeting between Mac and my mother is happening too soon. I don't want Mac to see how much resentment my mother harbours towards me. It's something I never shared with the other women I dated in the past, but Mac is so much more than those women ever were.

After a drive that feels both too long and too short, I find the first available spot in the hospital car park and park my car. As we stride towards the emergency entrance, Mac slides her hand into mine. I squeeze it, silently thanking my lucky stars that she's here with me.

Mac points to the woman huddled at the entrance of the emergency section of Morwell Private. "Is that Mindy?"

"That's her," I answer tightly, noticing that my sister is smoking – something she only does when she's extremely stressed.

"Mindy," I call her name, trying to get her attention.

Seeing me, Mindy drops her cigarette on the ground and stubs it out with her foot. She runs towards me with a relieved smile on her face, and I hug her tightly.

"How's Mum?" I ask, letting her go.

"God, Ry, I feel so bad. I totally screwed up. I don't know how to handle this."

"We'll get through it. It'll be okay."

Mindy frowns suddenly as she looks over my shoulder. "Mackenzie Lauren?"

I hadn't forgotten that Mac is here with me, but for a moment, I've forgot that I need to introduce the two of them.

"Mac, please," Mac says, stepping forward. "I'm so sorry about your mother."

Mindy's appraising gaze darts between Mac and me.

"Mindy, this is my girlfriend, Mac. Mac, this is my sister, Mindy."

"Girlfriend?" Mindy's eyebrows shoot up towards the sky.

"Yup."

"Wow, Ry. I don't think I've ever heard you use that term before."

A small smile slides across my face. "What can I say? I've never felt the urge to before."

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, Mac," Mindy says. "Though I wish the circumstances were better."

Mac nods. "Me, too."

Mindy turns to me. "Mum's regained consciousness. They've just moved her out of emergency and into a ward."

"Do you know which one?"

"Yep. Come on, I guess it's time to face the music."

I put a hand out to grab Mindy's wrist. "Hey, Min, this wasn't your fault."

"I don't even know how she fell out of her wheelchair."

"You can't watch her twenty-four seven."

"I know, but... this isn't the first incident, Ry. There have been others."

"What? When?"

"Over the past few months."

"Why didn't you tell me?"