Chapter 18: Thought You Should Know

❤️Mac❤️

I can't do anything but stare at the man in front of me. Danny can't be serious, can he? He's been hung up on Angel for the past three weeks, and even though he's mentioned her less lately, I'm finding it hard to believe his change of heart could be this swift. Our on-set kiss yesterday was okay, but there were no sparks flying, at least not from where I stood. It wasn't like the kisses I've shared with Ryan.

"Mac, hear me out," Danny urges. "I know I messed things up between us before, but I swear things will be different now. I'll treat you the right way, the way you deserve."

"I'm sorry," I reply. "I'm just a little lost here. You've been talking about how much you want to rekindle things with Angel all this time. This is quite unexpected..."

"I thought I still had feelings for Angel, but when I talked to her, I realized all I felt was anger. I didn't even want to see her. It's like I can't feel the same way about her anymore."

This is the first time I've heard Danny express anger over how Angel treated him. Maybe he's starting to move on from his ex, but he isn't entirely over her. It seems like our kiss yesterday triggered a sense of nostalgia, and he's trying to rebound.

"And when I found out about your kiss with Ryan yesterday, I felt... jealous," Danny confesses.

"Wait. You're here because you're jealous?"

I'm not sure if his explanation makes things clearer or more confusing. Nostalgia is one thing, but aiming to rekindle a romance is quite another.

"Throughout these weeks, you've been an amazing friend," he continues. "I realized a bit ago that I've really missed you. You're incredible. Always have been. I want a second chance."

"Dan," I say gently. "What we had ended a while back. I think you might be mixing friendship and nostalgia with something else."

"I'm not confusing anything."

"I'm sorry. I can't go back. I don't want to restart things."

"Is that because of our history and the way I hurt you, or is it about Ryan Moore?"

"My choice isn't influenced by Ryan."

I'm deeply in love with Ryan, but even without that, I would have reached the same conclusion.

"Then it's not true what I heard about your R-rated kiss with Ryan on set yesterday?" Danny asks. "I heard you two were practically going at it in front of everyone."

I choose my words cautiously. Everyone will know Ryan and I are together soon enough, but no need to shove it in Danny's face.

"Things did get a bit heated," I admit. "Yes."

"Are you really going to repeat history, Mac?"

"Repeat what?"

"Fall for the guy you're smooching on stage?" he asks me, his tone tinged with sadness. "Isn't that what happened between us? You fell for me after our on-screen fling."

"It's different with Ryan," I clarify. "I was already falling for him long before our kiss."

Danny sighs heavily, sinking into the sofa in the room. "Are we friends, Mac?"

I nibble my lip, contemplating the different paths this conversation might take. "We were starting to be," I respond.

"As your friend, I need to tell you something about Ryan Moore."

I try to interject, but he plows on.

"Moore's a player. He's got a rep. He hooks up, then moves on."

It's a bit funny that Danny thinks I'm oblivious to Ryan's reputation.