Chapter 4, Part 8

Psycho

Sparkle and I support Dasher as we walk through the narrow passage, Montolio trotting up ahead of us. For a while we all stay pretty quiet. It takes a minute before Montolio bothers to look back at us and say anything.
"So," he says, scraping a claw on the floor measuredly, "what is it you shall do now that you are free?"
Sparkle looks slightly surprised at Montolio's question. "Go home. What else would we do?" She sighs, sending an eerie echo across the passageway. "I don't mean to be rude, but this place doesn't sit well with me."
In the dimness of the cave, I almost swear I see Montolio give a rueful smile. "I am afraid it will not work out the way you wish, for several reasons. The first is that no one here has any idea where you live, and I suspect you do not know the way back yourself. The second, is that Peaseblossom simply will not allow you outside the Hidden Woods for the next few days."
I shift my grip on Dasher, limping along pitifully. "Why won't he? That guy's rather the sourpuss, isn't he?"
Montolio bobs his head in limited agreement. "Sure, the Chancellor is dour at times, but not entirely without reason. Until the Darkened Days end, it is simply not safe to let you wander outside the safety of the Hidden Woods." He pauses, without uncertainty. "Not that Peaseblossom want to keep you three safe. Tell me, does your assertive brother make it his habit to create enemies, or is he just not in the mood to play nice?"
I almost drop Dasher in shock when he lifts his head up a little and speaks. "People seem to naturally dislike me for whatever reason. I just go with it." A couple small sparks flicker over his features before he goes limp again.
"Yet since you choose to "just go with it", you say," Montolio snorts dryly, "most of the Grass types ought hate you. They follow Peaseblossom with utter devotion. And, the Bugs already are suspicious of you for bringing a Grass type."
"Eek!" Sparkle squeals, jostling Dasher and getting a pretty sharp look in return. "I had almost forgotten about Lotus! Is he alright?"
Montolio taps his claws impatiently. "One thing at a time. We can get to your "relative" later." He flicks his tail as if to shake off a nervousness that creeps into his demeanor. "It is obvious to me that the three of you are pretty inexperienced at battling. Considering how many Pokemon are already against you, and that you shall not be able to leave until three days hence, you could be at the mercy of any of the more ruthless in the Woods."
"Isn't this place supposed to be safe?" I point out.
The Absol shakes his head forlornly. "To us. Not outsiders. And even for us, the long-running feud can take away safety in an instant." He paces up ahead, before returning to us and our careful pace. "That is why I am offering to teach you how to battle. You need skills more than most here, or you will be at the mercy of most here."

Sparkle and I share a look. There is no way any of us, especially Dasher, want to battle. I hate hurting others, and I hate getting hurt. Yet, how much other choice is there, assuming all of us want to get out alive? Not much. On the bright side, it will be nice to finally have Spark off our back for refusing to battle when we finally come home.
Both Sparkle and I nod. Dasher gives a feeble flop of his head that I hope is a nod, and rivulets of electricity run down him.
Montolio smiles back at us. "Good. With hope, you will not be utterly useless when I am through with you."

"This guy is nuts," Dasher hisses softly through clenched teeth, "like everyone else on this planet!"
Perhaps that wasn't a nod after all.
The passageway begins to branch out, and we follow Montolio through the maze-like tunnels. It is not as if we have any idea of where to go in this darkness ourselves. Eventually, a thin layer of light filters through the murk of the cave.
An exit to the caves appears after the next turn. Two Ferrothorn guard it. It's hard to tell one of them from another, but I think these ones aren't Nattorei and Noacier. I let a sigh of relief. Those two were rather gruff with Dasher, not that I can blame them.

Montolio talks with the guards shortly. Afterward, they nod and scoot aside. Both Ferrothorn give us three strange looks as we pass through. The waterfall splatters us as we walk through, but I don't really care anymore.
The sky above is dusky rose in the evening light, showing omen of the impending nightfall. Tension clenches Montolio's jaw as he glances to the skyline and shakes water off his coat.
He turns to face us. "We must hurry to the infirmary, so you two can get the treatment for Darkening. I hope you do not mind staying up all night, since that is the only way to keep you out of Lord Moon's grip."
"But what about Dark Void?" I ask. "Won't he make an in-person appearance and steal us away anyway?"
The Battlemaster shakes his head and motions with his tail for us to follow. We continue through the forest after him, leaving the roaring waterfall behind.
"I am afraid Lord Moon will be too occupied with the Pokemon of your Mansion to bother out here for just two. Three, if we include your green relative." Sparkle sniffles a little to herself here, for whatever reason. "Your friends back at your home will have much to deal with tonight. See, Lord Moon returns his charges for a few hours at evening light, before he takes them again. On the eve of the third day, he takes the most of all."
I shiver at the thought of everyone back home freaking out because of more taken, right after they think they have most everyone back. It is going to be be a rough night for them.