Chapter 3, Part 1

Chapter Three

Dasher

The winding path gets more difficult to follow as I go along it. Large rocks mix in with the pebbles, and the terrain changes from flat to mildly hilly. How wonderful. As I run along the road, I call out for my siblings. One, this should keep the pokemon whom hate me me away, and two, if Psy and Sparkle are anywhere about they'll come running.
Even so, nothing happens. No one materializes, not even my siblings, and this strange forest feels desolate. I'm not really the sort to get lonely, but I dislike total isolation. Who doesn't, after a while at least? The only sound I can hear is the crunch of gravel under my feet, and my cries for Sparkle and Psycho. Empty of company, filled with trees might be a good way to describe the place.
Eventually, the road ends. To my slight dismay, it ends straight into a river. Litterally, the path just converges right into it, weirdly dispersing into the rocky shore. The river itself is deep and wide. There's probably some way to cross, but what good would that do? It's not as if the path reappears on the other side.
"Gah!" I cry in frustration, and kick at a rock. My mind has cleared a lot from when I first came here. It's obvious that there's no ready way home, and that my siblings are nowhere to be found. I hate this place! Why would Full Moon stick me here? I know he did it, he was the last one I saw before I appeared here.
In my rage, I kick at another rock. The gravel under me shifts with the displacement of the stone, and I realize that the land slopes slightly toward the river. With a flurry of movement, the rocks under me shift, and I slide unwillingly on them and into the brook. Cold water like ice hits my skin. A yell escapes mye as the strong current pulls me down the stream. What have I done now?
Strong rapids drag me below the surface of the water, and I flail my way back to the top. Just as I reach it and catch a breath, I get sucked under once more. Head over heels, I tumble and spin in the battering rapids. It's lucky that the water is deep, else I would have hit my head a lot. The sky seems to mingle, and then merge with the dark stones at the bottom of the riverbed. Coughing up bubbles from the batterment, I slip further under, into the deep of the river. I am powerless, as I am every time something terrible happens.
Also like every other time in my life, luck saves me. As my vision darkens, a figure from above the stream breaks the surface of the water and grabs my hand. With a few strong kicks, they push to the top and bring me with them.
I take some very much needed breaths and wipe the water from my eyes and hair before considering my rescuer. Grateful as I am, I intend to say something witty so I don't look enitrely dumb for almost getting myself drowned.
My heart skips a beat when I glace up and see that it's Psycho whom saved me. He can swim? I've never seen him try. Perhaps it's one of those things he goes off and does in the forest, when I'm not there with him. I don't really go in the forest much, and he explores it's every nook and cranny. It would make a certain sense, that he knows how to swim.

There's a haughty look on his face. It occurs to me that since everyone else I've met in this alternate reality hates me, why should my brother be any different? A sinking feeling weighs down my relief. It was a mistake to go looking for him or Sparkle here. I'm only going to get hurt, and by my own feelings nonetheless. Never thought there would be a day that I would dread scorn aimed my way. Well, it seems I do from Psycho.
We lock our gaze for a moment as I catch my breath. He says nothing, only smooths down the gauze wrapping his injured arm. Water drips thickly from the bandage.
"Psycho," I say, "I was looking for you."
An absence of expression is all that registers in his face.
"This place is messed up. I hoped you could... I dunno... help me figure things out? Get home?"
"When have you helped me?" The comment takes me by surprise. "I always have to help you. You never thank me. You never aknowledge it. It's as if you expect everyone to accept your fallabilities, and make exceptions for you."
"Come on. We're brothers..."
"You take advantage of me, brother. Since when have you bothered to care about me? You told me my love life was dead before it even started, and you treated it as entertainment."
"I... what... You... recall that?" He actually remembered that? I never though he remembered those things... and if he didn't remember them, did they really hurt him? My Giratina, the world feels like it's been turned on it's head. I almost feel dizzy. Strange queasy feelings slide in my stomach, and I have the idea of what is going to happen next. Is this... betrayal?
"I forget less than you hope. Now, I'll forget you more than you want. I'll forget you need help. I'll forget you entirely. You're lucky I helped you in the first place." The familiar, and usually pleasant voice my brother has, takes on a steel cold tone.
"Goodbye, dear brother."