Chapter Thirty One- part 2: Elendil

Stark white spires rose from the island in the distance. They were the first things you saw when approaching Ardith, and the last when you leave. Old Island architecture was the essence of Summerwind Hall, with its bright, painted walls and flowing lines. To someone who had grown accustomed to the harsh work of on the mainland, the elegance of the Hall was breathtaking.

"That is Summerwind Hall?" Cherche asked with a dropped jaw. "It's beautiful."

He nodded. "Only from a distance. The closer you get the more you can see and smell the filth and corruption." He hated that he was leaving this--this feeling of awe when he saw his home--behind. Nothing would be as beautiful to him than those white spires that threatened to tickle the clouds. Even the shine of the White Keep was dull compared to the spires. And this was the last time he was going to see them from this way. The next time, he would be leaving Ardith forever. He glanced over at Cherche, who was staring wide-eyed at the spires, and smiled to himself. It was worth it, though.

The sun was high in the sky, marking it for midday. The marketplace should be at its busiest time when they arrived at port. It would make for blending in, much easier. Even Cherche, with her bright red hair and alabaster skin, would have little problem slipping in with the rest of the merchants. Men and women from all across the empire and beyond would be there, selling their wares and laying over until their ship leaves. Perhaps she could even glean some information from the sailors and merchants that could prove useful. Like where a ship set to go to Harper's Town was and when it was to set sail. They would have to pay their way aboard, but Elendil would be able to take care of that once he got into the castle.

"Are you sure I'll be able to blend in like this, El? Don't most ladies, even in the Isles, were dresses?"

He studied her. Her long, red hair was pulled into a braid that fell loosely down her back. She wore woven breeches and a painted vest. Her skin seemed to glow against the bright southern sun. "It is because I'm so damn white," she had told him when he commented on it. He laughed because he had meant it as a compliment. "You're going to fit in just fine, I promise. You could pass from a Balverrdi slave or a merchant's daughter. Which ever you choose your persona to be, stick with it."

She glared heavily at him. "I'm no slave. I would kill the first man who tried to make me one too."

"I should reevaluate my true plan then."

"You're nothing but a fool, Elendil Thurston."

She flashed him a smile and turned to walk away, but he grabbed her wrist and pulled her back. He wrapped his arms around her, pinning hers to her sides. Her eyes furrowed when she realized she was trapped in his embrace. He grinned as he watched her struggle to get out. She glowed the most when she was frustrated, especially when she was frustrated with him. When she gave up trying to escape, he planted a kiss on her lips. She leaned in to him, pushing him against the railing of the ship. His hands felt along the side of her back, caressing the smooth bare skin. Her arms broke free and slipped around his neck, pulling him closer to her. Their tongues met and flicked at each other. She tasted of the watery wine they had been drinking, the same wine he had found in his trunk. It was sweet and strong, just like her.

"We will be married as soon as we arrive in Starkport," he said between the kisses. "Then we will adventure across the north like we always dreamed we would."

She pulled back, keeping her waist pressed against his. The movement caused a stirring in his loins. She giggled at the stiffness down there. "Soon," she whispered in his ear. "Very soon, my love." She bid him goodbye with one final kiss before venturing below deck.

Now, he just had to wait.

Just as he suspected, the marketplace and docks were packed full of people. He would have no issues hiding in the throngs if need be. Just as Cherche could hide as well. She could begin selling some of his jewels and clothes to pick up the coin they will need to survive until they find their new home. On the mainland, they would need horses. And horses were expensive.