Chapter Thirty One- part 1: Elendil

The Suthron Sea

The vastness of the open sea sprawled out before them. The setting sun painted a beautiful picture of oranges and purples and pinks across the southern sky. It was like nothing Cherche had ever seen before, Elendil was certain. She had been confined to the white landscape of the north her entire life, only visiting south for the rare, special occasion like the princess's coming-of-age, or to deliver dire news to the High Queen. Instead of watching the sunset on the sea, he spent the evening watching the awe rise from Cherche's face every evening. She had not grown tired of these sunsets, nor did she intend to, he figured. Even he, who had seen them nearly every day of his life, was still struck by their beauty.

"I thought sunsets were beautiful in the north, striking against the snow," she said as she leaned over the railing of the ship, "but nothing compares to this."

"You only say that because you cannot see yourself right now."

For the first time that evening, her gaze dropped to the sea below. A flush crept up her cheeks. "You're nothing but a fool, El."

He grinned. "If gazing at the most beautiful girl in the world makes me a fool, then so be it."

"I ought to push you right into the water, you fool. That ought to shrivel you up a bit."

A laugh escaped from his lips. Gods, how he missed her. She had the beauty of a butterfly, but the sting of a bee. So few women were as courageous as her to say whatever she damn well pleased. "If you do that, then I'm afraid Captain Stormbeard would have to throw you in with me. Might shrivel you up a bit too."

"Bah, you're nothing but a fool, El. The north has made me impervious to any shriveling."

"Perhaps the south will warm you up a bit, hm? It is said that even Suthron waters can warm the heart of even the coldest bitch in the north. I guess you'll have to test that theory, won't you?"

She punched him in the shoulder, laughing all the while. Gods, how he had missed that laugh. Sure, he had missed her astounding wit and tongue of a viper, it was that laugh he had missed the most. The way she threw her head back and her big, brown eyes looked to the skies. They may be running away, running from Audriel's men and from his own family, but doing it with her just made it all worth it.

"Should be there by tomorrow, boy," Captain Mancer's gruff voice said behind them. "Once we port, I ain't yer man no more. I'd get the hell off my ship as soon ye can 'fore I go to yer pap. Alls I know is I want not'in' to do with ye and whatever shit ye be in. Got it, boy?" His scowl matched the same angered one he had given the pair when they returned to the ship that day he and Cherche decided to run away together.

He had put up a fight when Elendil told him that he wanted to leave right away. The old pirate knew that they were running and he didn't want to be fighting any of the High Queen's warships just to get them away for trouble they probably got themselves into. No matter how much begging, pleading, bribing, or threatening Elendil did, the old pirate wouldn't budge. He'd even laughed at his attempts to threaten. "Yer just a boy," Captain Mancer had said, "ye ain't no king and ye sure as hell ain't man enough to be makin' threats to me. Ye just blowin' hot air in me face." It took revealing Cherche and their true intentions to open him up. He had been none too happy to learn that the pair meant to run off with each other, but for some reason he agreed to get them back to Ardith. "That be as far as I'm takin' ye. Find yer own way to the north cuz it ain't gon be me. Best remember that, boy." He hadn't forgotten. He always knew that the old pirate was his father's man through and through. He had just hoped for a bit of leniency.

"Yes, sir," said Elendil. He looped his arm around Cherche's waist, pulling her in tight.

The old pirate growled. "And I ain't no sir, boy. I'm yer fuckin' captain. Now get out of me sight before I decide to sail ye two straight back to ye High Queen. Both o' ya. Go on, get!" He grabbed Elendil by the arm and pushed him to the door that led to the captain's quarters.

Inside, a few of Elendil's trunks had remained from where they hadn't been hauled to the White Keep yet. It was much, but it was enough. He had sold a few of his garments and lesser jewels to buy Cherche some clothes at the first stop they made in Tempest, the port that controlled where the Tempris River met the Whispering Sea. She had come with nothing but the clothes on her back. In their haste to leave, they hadn't planned for anything. It was a fool's move, Elendil reflected, but it was the move he had made. By now, half the empire was aware of his escape from Mynoa. Audriel will be wanting him back, if not for simply embarrassing her. Though he knew her barely, he could plainly see that the girl did not take kindly to being embarrassed.

"What are we going to do, El?" Cherche asked as she plopped on the bed of furs. "Every time I bring it up, you say 'We'll talk about it tomorrow'. Well tomorrow we arrive in Ardith and we haven't the slightest idea of how we are going to get Anders and get to Starkport without being captured by either your lovely mother's men or by my dear cousin's. We don't even know how we are going to infiltrate Summerwind Hall!"

Even in the dim light of the cabin, her red hair seemed alight with flame. It seemed to grow brighter when she was angry, he had noticed years ago. "I have been thinking."

"Well I think it is past time that you shared these thoughts of yours, wouldn't you say?"

His eyes fell to one of his trunks. Its lid stood half open, revealing the modest supplies at home in it. A few rolled up pieces of blank parchment, a half a jar of ink, a couple of books from the Hall's library, and a bottle only a fourth full of red wine. "I know the layout of the castle better than anyone," he finally spoke. "I'm certain the captain has a map of the city somewhere on the ship. Ardith is sprawling, but it is easy to navigate if you stay within the main district. It is the smallest district, but the busiest. It contains the docks, the castle, and the largest marketplace in the city. It's a very open space, almost impossible to get lost in, but the easiest place to lose someone in. Once I infiltrate the castle, that is where I will meet you with Anders. If we are followed, you won't be able to miss it, but they will lose me in the crowds. If I'm followed, you just go, leave us and wait at the docks. If the gods are on our side, a ship from Harper's Town will be there and we can leave on it. From there, we can meet with Mathis and he will see to it that we get safely anywhere we want to go."

Cherche stood from the bed and walked over to the unlit brazier. She kept her back to Elendil so he couldn't see her face, so he couldn't see what she was thinking. "What if you never make it out of the castle, El? What if you get there and you find Anders already dead because your mother knew that you had left Mynoa? What if it doesn't work?"

"It will work. No bird could have made it to Ardith before us, Cherche. She doesn't know." He reached down and plucked up a roll of parchment and the bottle of ink. He spread it out on the floor, weighing the sides down with the books. He dipped his finger in the ink and began to draw the main district of Ardith. "I know many secret passageways in and out of the castle. How else was I able to sneak away from the prying eyes of my mother?" That got a chuckle out of her.

He drew the district with his blackened finger, labeling what he needed and describing what he couldn't draw. When the sun had long set, they had developed a plan. It was not without its flaws and risks, but it was the only thing they had. By this time tomorrow, Elendil though as his eyes drifted close, we will be on a ship en route to our new lives.