Chapter Twenty Four: Audriel

Mynoa, Rundil

Grasses were greening and flowers were budding for the first time in months.  Spring was here, the melting snows heralded the news.  Soon, farmers would begin to till their land and plant theirs seeds for this year’s crop.  It was to be a good one, Audriel could feel it.  She had always been fascinated by the burst of life from what had appeared to be death during the harsh months of winter.  She marveled at the resilience of nature.

She had Tella move her chair by the window so that she might gaze out into the awakening world.  Though she could not see much greenery from her window, save for the castle gardens just within her view, she knew that it was there.  She could see it in the activity of the city.

Tella patted her hair dry as she hummed some familiar tune to herself.  “What song is that?” Audriel asked.

The humming paused for a moment, as did Tella’s gentle movement of her hands.  “I’m not sure of the name, Your Grace.  But my ma used to hum it to me when I was a babe.”  Her hands resumed their work.  “Can’t say what it’s about, but it sounds happy and it’s always stuck with me.”

She hummed out a melodic tune, gently swaying her hips with the tune.  It was a piece that seemed so familiar to Audriel, but she knew that she had never heard it before.  Perhaps it was some bastard song off of a more famous version.  A singer might’ve added his own Edda to a renowned piece, hoping to become famous with it.  If that’s the case, he had at least partially succeeded.  His piece had made it to the ears of the High Queen, though the words had been lost.  She chuckled, the irony not lost on her.  The tune came to a sudden stop.  “That’s all I know,” said Tella.  “I’m sure there’s more to it, but that’s all my ma ever hummed to me.”

Audriel gave her a soft smile.  “It was beautiful.”  Tella thanked her and returned to her hair, humming a different melody to herself.

As Tella brushed through her long hair, she heard a knock at the door.  The handmaiden excused herself to answer it.  In the reflection of the mirror, she saw a silver head pop into view.  She smiled in delight and stood from her window seat.  “Let him in.”

Tella nodded and stepped aside, allowing her Uncle Sofur to enter the room.  His violet eyes gazed around the room before landing on Audriel in her velvet robe of crimson.  “Good morning, Your Grace,” he said with a bow of the head.  “I am sorry to disturb you at this time.”

“You could never disturb me, Uncle,” she said, embracing him in a hug.  “You are always welcome here.”  With her mother gone to Hermuna, he was the only family she had left.  Her lord uncle, Ronan, had never been one for conversation, and is even less so now.  Sofur was all she had.  She turned to Tella.  “Leave us.”  She bowed her head and took her leave.

Once alone, he smiled at her, his white teeth sparkling.  “Thank you.”  He took out a piece of folded parchment and handed it to her.  “I received a letter early this morning and I wanted to share the news with you immediately.”

She examined the red wax seal.  It was stamped with a fox.  “From King Thrynn?”

He shook his head, smiling.  “Ambrosine.”

The letter was addressed to Sofur, she noticed, but she read past it.  Her eyes scanned the contents.  A bright grin was on her face by the time she finished.  “She is certain?”

“She seemed very certain the letter.  Excited even.”

“Do you suspect it will make it to full term?  She has said this before.”

“I understand you doubts, my queen, but I have faith in my sister.  She says it’s been over three months since her last blood.  It’s the longest she’s last since her last stillborn five years past.  She is confident in this one.  It will be a strong child.”