Chapter 8

I looked into her brown eyes and answered as honestly as I could, “Because I don’t think I’m his.” I returned my gaze to my feet swinging over the murky water. She coughed trying to bring me back to reality.

“Okay, this got super depressing, but I have to ask, why did you just start talking to me? I mean I was being rude and a slut and then you just picked me up, to which I did the most annoying thing a girl can do, cry. I don’t get you, Calum.” I just laughed and realized that I didn’t even have a good reason.

“I was honestly going to try and use you to..uh.. get Luke to come talk to me….” I said completely embarrassed. She looked at me confused. “Like, I thought that he would get mad and come talk- well, yell at me- and then we’d stop talking while he was still seething and I would like step closer and kiss his cute mouth and feel his cool lip ring again and I’m really sorry,” I said in one breath. My cheeks flushed again and she just laughed, wow this is not how I thought she would take it.

“Okay great because I was very confused,” she pushed out still giggling. Why do girls giggle so much?

“So earlier you said you needed money, if you don’t mind me asking, why?”

“Oh, you caught that? I...um..I kind of want to leave…”

“What do you mean...leave? Are you thinking about running away?” She just looked out across the water pulling on the splinters on the dock. I rolled my eyes...again. This bitch is crazy. “You’ve got to be fucking with me! That’s so stupid and do you know what happens who leave home? They get picked up by creeps and get sold into prostitution and-”

“Oh my god, Calum, shut up! I’m not the one that flubbed up with Luke, oh wait I did do that! So don’t talk down to me when you don’t know what’s wrong.” I gaped for a solid 10 minutes.

“I-I’m sorry,” I muttered. “But why do you wanna run away?”

“Enough about me, why are you here anyways, you don’t seem like you’re having a good ‘ol time out here in the woods,” she said motioning quotation marks around the word ‘woods.’

“I got into some trouble last year and my mom doesn’t trust me anymore, and I mean I don’t exactly give her a reason to, my old boyfriend came back last night and we ended up fighting and came to the conclusion that it wasn’t working out and I was really confused and kind of went with it but now I’m here pitying myself for screwing Luke over,” I said still very uncomfortable with the fact that the longest relationship I’ve ever had...ended.

“Strange, but it all sounds like it’s going to end up being some epic love story that you’ll tell your grandkids.” I just nodded and stood up offering her my hand that she took. We walked back to the dining hall to plot our next move to get operation “Cake Is Love, Cake Is Lyfe” in motion.

****************

I'm sorry I haven't updated in like a month, but I promise more cake soon. Thank you for continuing to read this mess of a book.