Chapter 1

I stood with Michael and Stephanie below an oak tree wrapped with white Christmas lights. A breeze blew from the lake causing me to shiver. "Calum, are you ok?" Stephanie asked.

"I'm fine," I replied a bit annoyed. We were alone outside the large cabin because we weren't going to drink in front of our parents who probably wouldn't even notice to due to their own intoxicated states. My mom would disown me because I got busted for drunk driving last fall and am still on "probation". It's actually really stupid but ithas kept me from getting into more shit.

The lights from inside the cabin were in great contrast from the dark sky letting the lights on the scattered trees illuminate the small lawn that met the dock. I could see blonde hair above all the old, drunk people here for a business retreat. For some reason, they let the employees bring their children and although my mom said it was a chance for us to bond, she actually just didn't want me to get into trouble when she was gone. The hair I could see was styled and lush.Wow, you really can't get anymore gay. When the boy moved off the dance floor, I could see that he was helping a short girl with blue hair sit down, obviously intoxicated. She must be his girlfriend because he was too hot not to have one.

He sat down and she practically fell on his lap, latching her arms around his neck. She leaned in and whispered something in his ear causing him to visibly tense. He stood pushing her off and made his way to the door. He stepped out obviously taken aback by the unexpected cool air. His bright blue eyes met mine and it seemed like a 1000 years before either one of us looked away.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer!" Michael yelled shooting him a wink. Michael isn't gay but is infact dating Stephanie which surprised his own parents more than anyone else. He has been my best friend through thick and thin and I don't think I'll ever be able to repay him. The boy just walked to the dock passing us without even a glance. Goosebumps formed on my tanned arm as I briskly followed him looking back at Michael with a glare telling him to leave us alone. He sat down at the edge looking over the water with his long legs barely skimming the murky water. I slowly sat down next to him looking at the minos swimming through the weeds just below the surface. The sky was dark was speckled the sky. My hand faintly brushed against his causing my breath to catch.

"My name's Luke," he said never letting his eyes leave the water. I looked over and was in complete awe at how the moonlight light up his downcast face. It caused the hollows of his cheeks became darker and deeper making his delicate cheekbones appear to be glowing

"I'm Calum," I reply. His blue eyes meet mine causing my cheeks to heat from being caught. He smiled sadly without showing his teeth and I returned it with one stretching from ear to ear. Before I could register what was happening, he leaned his head on my shoulder and looked back at the water and I was sure he could hear the sound of my heart beating out of my chest.

"What happened?" I asked carefully, not wanting to ruin this moment.

"This girl wanted me to makeout with her in front of my parents, and then proceeded to tell me that I was the only guy to ever turn her down which led her to conclude that I'm..." he trailed off. Is he gay, too? If there is a God, please let this boy be gay, please. "She mentioned me being gay and when I guess I looked ‘ashamed’, she took it as her cue to yell out that I was gay."

Thank you, Lord Jesus Our Savior or whoever did this for me. "I'm sorry you had to go through that, it was awkward for me to come out, too," I said reassuringly. He jerked away and looked at me as if I was psychotic.

"I'm not gay! Do I look gay?" he shouted at me. I cringed but knew better than to get my hopes up. I looked down the river to see a group of kids our age sitting around a fire listening to someone play guitar. I wanted to be like them and sit there with Luke's arms wrapped around me for warmth. I could picture how I'd lean into his chest and feel his laughter vibrate through out him. I didn't respond to Luke, but watched his face soften when the first tear rolled down my cheek. I wasn't crying because he was yelling, but out of the loss of hope I had just experienced.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean for you to think that I felt that way about you, but I'm a guy...and you're a guy. It would be weird, but you seem nice. Maybe we could be friends," Luke stated as he put his arm around my shoulder. For a straight boy, he sure is touchy. "Why don't you come over to my cabin, we can watch a movie or something?"

I nodded and followed him to one of the identical cabins. When we went inside, I noticed how unlived in the building seemed. I shot him a questioning look and he responded with telling me about how his dad is the owner of the company my mom works at so he got his own cabin. He sat down on one of the white, leather couches and began scrolling through Netflix. I don't even know why we're out in the woods if we have all the amenities of our house back home. He decided on Mama which I wasn't actually excited about watching. Scary movies are not my thing, but if I got to hang out with Luke, I'd have to deal with it.

When something would pop out, I'd bite my lip to keep from shrieking. Luke caught on so he began telling me when it was going to be scary. I was sure nothing was going to pop out anymore so I told him I was ok and that I could last the rest of the movie, but I was completely wrong. The lady/ghost thing bursted out of a door and I screamed causing Luke to clutch his stomach in laughter. He came over to the couch I was sitting on and gave me a hug causing me to savor how his bare arms touched the back of my neck when he whispered as if the world would end if he was too loud. "Good job, I'm proud that you made it through the whole movie."

I shuttered making him ask if I needed a blanket or something. "I should actually get back to my cabin before my mom starts to suspect I'm making out with Michael or something," I stated. He still wasn't used to the way I talked so casually about kissing guys so he backed up a bit as if I was going to take him right then and there. I wanted to but that wouldn't help my plan on being his friend first and showing him how perfect I am for him.