Today's Task 16: Visiting Lily's Family

Harry's POV

I woke up on my own the next day at 7:00, which is quite early for me considering I hadn't woken up to an alarm. I was on a mat like I had been the night before, but instead of sleeping with only a quilt, Lily's arm was laying across my belly, and her feet brushing my ankles. I had a sudden memory of a few months before when we had woken up the same way, but inside I was a different type of Harry, and not the one I was that day.  

Like every single morning, I was a little disoriented and had to concentrate to recall past events and then carry on my day. Then I remembered struggling to get Lily to agree to my proposition. It took awhile, but she did in the end. I was still a little curious as to why she fell asleep next to me. She was probably just too lazy to get back onto the couch. 

Then I saw my mother standing at my feet with a smug smile on her face. 

"Yeah mum?" I said, yawning off my morning breath.  

"Sorry to wake you, but I was hoping you could make some breakfast? Maybe some pancakes if you don't mind?" She whispered, conscious of Lily's sleeping figure.  

"American or British?" I grunted back, clearing my throat of its morning rasp. 

"Just because you've gone off and lived it up in America, doesn't mean I'm any more interested in their food. So British." She laughed and then added "And that'll probably always be my answer." She then walked away down the hall. I smiled, and gently pushed Lily's arm off my stomach, making sure she didn't wake up. She only turned a bit on her side. I pushed myself to my feet and tiptoed off to the kitchen. 

 I found some eggs and some milk in the fridge and placed them onto the counter. I found myself pushing through the cabinets to find anything else I could use. Luckily, though my mother lacked flour, I found some convenience mix to use. It wouldn't be my greatest batch of pancakes, but it would have to do. And I'd have to make my eggs awesome.

 "PAYDAY! It's so convenient that they knew to send it to your mom's house!" Lily enthused, bursting into the kitchen with an orange envelope waving around her hands. It discouraged me to recall that she only did this for money, but then I remembered so was I. Lily stopped in her tracks and looked at the ingredients I had on the table.

 "Oh what are you making?" 

I looked down at the food in front of me and then looked back at her. "Pancakes and eggs." I said.

"Oh that was like my favorite breakfast as a kid! But that was all before-" She caught herself, almost raising her hand to cover her mouth. "Um nevermind."  I was more than curious to know what she was going to say, but knowing her, I knew she wasn't one to tell these things. 

 "Well thats great! Why don't you go watch some Tv while I make the food." I suggested, grabbing a whisk and mixing bowl to use. Lily nodded and proceeded to leave the kitchen while I worked my magic.

*****************************************************************************

 It was about halfway into the cooking process, when I saw Lily going outside and slipping into the car, with an envelope tucked underneath her arm. It was quite strange, I could have sworn that was her paycheck envelope. I studied the package for awhile. Yellow outside? Red seal? Red UK stamp? Yeah that was definitely her paycheck. But I noticed a new edition to it. A US stamp next to the UK one. Meaning this was heading to the United States. Why though?

  I felt my head start to burn with thoughts starting to make me ponder. Lily was hiding something from me, and I could only pray she had a reasonable and non-criminal explanation for not telling me. But nothing was coming together. It was as if I had all the wires, but nothing the attach them together with.