Chapter ten: Bright Lights

Jack Frost didn't really know why he played sports.

He didn't have to. But ever since he followed Eugene around to his tryouts and found out he was a master at sports, he played just for the hell of it.

As he ran across the brightly lit field at the speed of wind, the familiar rush of adrenaline coursed through his viens. He raced to the goal posts easily dodging opposing teammates like a pro. He threw it to Eugene, who maneuvered through the opposing team and finally threw it back to Jack, who jumped up and sent it through the goal post with a round the house kick like the show off he was.

Cheers went up in the stands as the Disney students roared for their team. Jack pulled his helmet off and grinned as the shrill, piercing sound of the half time whistle cut through the air. The team jogged off the field and Jack walked side by side with Flynn, who was grinning and waving at the crowd and Merida, who was grumbling something about Jack stealing her moment.

He finally was able to stand next to Elsa who looked incredibly worried. "What's wrong?" He asked. She looked around and lowered her voice. "Pitch Black is here." Jack's heart rate sped up. "What?" He hissed, "How do you know?" The others gathered.
"I found the black sand in the locker room. We think he tried to lure us back there to see it. He wants us to know he's here." Jack cursed. Why didn't he think something like this would happen tonight? "Where's Hiccup? Find him and we'll figure something out."

They all looked up around in the bleachers, and when Rapunzel saw him, she pointed and waved him over. He sprinted down and they filled him on what happened.

They were all looking at Jack. Swallowing his doubt and worry, Jack looked around. Where could Pitch be?

Then, he looked into the shadows behind the furthest rows of bleachers. There in the shadows, he swore he saw movement. "Over there!" He pointed. And he took off with the others at his heels. Running behind the bleachers as to avoid attention, Jack jumped up and called on the wind to carry him. Faster and faster, he pitched forward.

He pulled the silver pendant off his neck and sighing seconds it grew in his hand. With the bright lights, it was hard to tell exactly where the shadow was but he tried his best to keep it in sight. Below him, Elsa was on the ground, using her ice to slide faster and she had a better eye on where it was. They were nearing the end of the row of bleachers, which gave into the complete darkness of the backlands next to it.

Jack furrowed his eyebrows. If he could only get a shot...then he had an idea. "Elsa!" He pointed to the darkness and somehow, she understood what he was saying. She brought her hands up and a huge wall of ice rose from the ground, blocking the backlands. Smirking, Jack put his staff to his shoulder and shot one blow. His aim wasn't as great as Merida's but it did the job and black smudge was frozen to the floor.

The gang all slid to a halt when they cafe to the ice wall. The black smudge seemed to glitter as it had fused with the ice and Jack leaned closer to get a look. As he stretched his hand out to touch him, Hiccup interrupted, "Oh come on man! That's disgusting! Don't touch it!" Flushing, Jack pulled his hand away. "You're probably right."

Rolling his eyes, Flynn pushed past Hiccup and Jack and pointed at the smudge. "You're both idiots. That's obviously the same black sand from Blondie's house and the other day at Hiccup's. We just need to figure out exactly what it is. Now that we have it here we can."

Elsa nodded. "That's right. Whatever it is, even though it's obviously...uh...incapacitated, we'll have a shot at figuring out if it's magic or whatever. Then we can figure out where to go from there." Merida nodded. "That sounds like a solid plan to me, but can we hurry this up? They're about to call half time." Everyone shot Merida a pointer look.

"What? Did I lie? I'm not losing this game because of some wussy Pitch Black who's CLEARLY TOO SCARED TO SHOW HIS FACE!" She shouted that last part into the dark backlands, as if she expected him to pop out and challenge her. 

Jack stared into the black expanse before them after Elsa melted the wall. While they jogged back to the brightly lit field, he couldn't help but wonder what they were going up against. Hiccup had collected a piece of the black stained ice to test it and they'd know what it was in a few days time.

What happened after that though? And how was Hans Westerguard connected to all of that? He knew Hans had a role in all of this and he wondered exactly how big was the threat they were dealing with. And Pitch Black wanting his soul? What was up with that?

Sighing, Jack strapped on his helmet and jogged onto the field.

After a quick huddle, the football players got ready for their line-up. After that, he got lost in the game, putting Pitch Black and his antics out his mind for a few. Occasionally, he would glance at the cheerleaders out the corner of his eyes, and it warmed his heart every time to see Elsa's face brightly lit by the floodlights, in her navy blue and white skirt and top, cheering with the huge pom-poms.

Smiling to himself, Jack played the game.