Chapter eight: Winter Days and Subtle Plays

Jack huffed. He was starving and he just wanted to go home and take a nap. But here he was, standing with Hans looking at rusty old cars as he droned on and on about when they were made, what they were, how much horsepower they had and whatever else useless stuff he felt Jack needed to know.

He sucked it up though because he needed to get close to Hans. He needed to get information and some type of insight because he knew that Hans was working with Pitch Black. And he needed to know what that was.

After a while, they had walked through half the cars in the lot but Jack couldn't take it anymore. Slowly, while they were walking, he had been dropping the temperature until it had gotten insanely cold. Hans shivered, apparently oblivious to Jack's little trick. "I-is it okay if we continue another day? I didn't realize how cold it was getting." Score. Jack shrugged. "Sure, no problem." Hans led him inside his house which was warm and empty. He led them down into the basement, which has been converted into a huge game style room. There were arcade machines, a fifty four inch flat screen TV (Jack knew because that exact one hung on his living room wall.) and a polished wooden bar. There was a huge pool table in the middle and a fridge and pantry behind the bar.

Hans sat down on the wrap around leather couch in front the TV and put his feet on the mahogany center table. Jack shifted over to the felt green card table, lined with gambling chips and cards and rattled a few in his hand. "Wow." He admitted, "This place is nice." Hans laughed. "Yea, it is. My brothers and I use it even though my dad was the one who had it made. He only uses it when he has one of his after dinner drinking and poker games. Other than that, we're free to use it." He went to the pantry and tossed two bags of potato chips on the counter and opened the fridge. While his back was turned, Jack looked around a little more carefully, scanning the place.

The place smelled like leather and air freshener, with a little hint of weed. He smiled to himself. Jackpot. Hans flopped down on the couch and flicked on the TV. He tossed Jack a bag and a bottle of beer. He didn't usually drink beer, but he cracked the bottle open and took a swig. He sat down with Hans and they watched a game of football. After about ten minutes, Jack patted his pockets then cursed.

Hans looked at him and he smiled sheepishly. "I guess I forgot a little something." The ginger smiled a little crookedly then got up. He came back a moment later with a metal tin, some paper and a lighter. Jack smirked. His plan was going to work after all. And maybe he was going to have a little fun on the way.

.

After about two hours, Jack left Hans' house, a little woozy, but buzzing with info. He knew that Hans' family was tangled in some sort of drug trade, so he'd have to tread very, very carefully. He didn't even know what the hell he was doing but he knew in his gut that Hans was connected to Pitch Black. And if Hans was connected to him, so close as to break into Rapunzel's house, Jack was sure he was working for that scumbag and with luck, he'd lead Jack straight to him.