Twenty | Secret Conversations

"I told my moms I was staying with Dakota and she covered for me. I could stay with you instead, if you want." I told Ashton as I left the auditorium after talking with my moms quickly. He waited for me outside so we could go to the car early.

"My mom wouldn't like it," he said sadly. "I texted her about it earlier just in case you could."

"What, we're suddenly not good enough for you?" Michael joked, cracking a smile from where he stood next to Ashton by the wall opposite the auditorium doors.

I shrugged. "If I could be with Ashton, I'd like to. You've never had a significant other before?"

He pursed his lips and looked away for a second as he thought before looking back to me with a cocky smile. "Nope. And it'll probably stay that way. So can we go now? I want to beat the traffic since everyone's in there." he said, nodding toward the auditorium.

As we began walking toward the main doors, I took Ashton's hand and looked up at Calum who was now next to me. "How do you and Michael get home?"

"We take the bus." he said shortly.

"Ew, the school bus?" I almost cringed. If school buses in Australia were anything like the ones in America, I felt sorry for him. They were always smelly and loud and made me feel just...gross.

"No, the public bus," he chuckled. "Our apartments are out of town."

"Jeez, what's with everyone and living out of town?" I mumbled.

"It's a big school," Ashton answered for me. "A lot of kids in Sydney go here and Sydney's a big place."

We reached the doors and pushed them open to get to the courtyard. I'd never actually seen it empty and it looked a lot bigger without the giant clusterfuck of kids and teenagers standing around it.

"So I have to squeeze four of you in my car, plus myself," Ashton began. "Which means three of you have to get comfortable practically sitting on each other."

"Not it," Luke said, touching his finger to his nose. "Besides, I lost my front seat status to Sam last time anyway."

Instead of arguing with Luke like last time, I just shrugged and accepted it. "Whatever, Blondie."

-

//ashton//

After swinging by Michael and Calum's apartment to drop them and Sam off, Ashton went back the way he normally did to bring Luke home before he went home himself. He didn't have anything to do today or anyone to pick up - Ashton was very thankful for that - so he just wanted to go home and relax.

He walked to his front door and walked inside his small house. He went to the cabinet just to make sure he still had pills even though he got his refill after leaving the hospital the other day. Apparently his dosage was raised, though, which wasn't good at all. These were supposed to be making him better and he didn't think they were. But he wanted to take pills which were easier than go to a hospital every few weeks or whenever he'd have to go.

"Hey." his mom yawned as she walked down the hall to the kitchen where Ashton was.

"Hi," he replied, shutting the cabinet and searching through the fridge while his mom started boiling water on the stove. "Just wake up?"

She nodded. "Kids got home not long before you. Why couldn't you drive Lauren like you usually do?"

Harry was always dropped off by one of his friend's moms but Ashton usually drove Lauren home when she wasn't planning on going to a friend's house - which was often - or staying after school. For the passed week, though, Lauren had had to work on a project with a girl in her class because it was due and they had never started it. But today, even though Lauren had nothing going on and she turned her project in, Ashton couldn't bring her home because of the people in his car so he texted her to see if a friend or a friend's mom could bring her home.