Nineteen | Sorta Friends

Since Mom's a nurse, she managed to get me out of the hospital early but she warned me she'd be keeping a very close eye on me, as well as lectured me about skipping school. I was completely okay with it, though. I was on cloud fucking nine because of what happened with Ashton.

After we kissed, we just looked at each other and smiled like idiots. Finally, he broke the silence, asking where I wanted to go from there.

"What do you mean?" I asked, not completely understanding.

"I mean, like, would you be okay with trying out a relationship?" he asked slowly. "I really don't want to pressure you or anything, especially after what just happened."

I did trust Ashton but I was still kind of scared. I trusted Danny too and that obviously didn't work out. But Ashton was different and if I wanted to move on from Danny, I'd have to stop letting fear ruin my life.

"I just- Could we take it slow?" I asked.

He smiled brightly, kissing my nose. "We can take it however you want to."

So now I was in my bed at home, smiling like an idiot because I couldn't get Ashton out of my head. Like, I actually had a boyfriend now. After thinking I'd never date anyone again, I was dating the quiet Drummer Boy from detention with big glasses and drumsticks in his back pocket and the goofiest personality and a smile that could light up a room.

God, I was so falling.

As I plugged in my phone that I had died while at the hospital, there was a knock on my door. I'd already been home for a few hours but neither of my siblings had come to check on me because Derek was at soccer practice and Molly probably wasn't even told. Derek slipped into my room still in his soccer uniform with a concerned look on his face. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine," I shrugged with the trace of a smile still on my face. "Actually, really good. Did moms tell you?"

He nodded. "I don't think they realize why you reacted so extremely since they don't know everything. Mom thinks it's PT-"

"Don't say it," I warned. "I don't have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder."

He shrugged. "Whatever. But mom did say that you've been smiling since leaving the hospital. What's up with you?"

"So, you know Ashton." I began, swaying from side to side because I was honestly just beating around the bush because I didn't know how to tell Derek I actually had a boyfrend now.

"You didn't have sex with him at the hospital, did you?" he asked quickly, sitting down next to me on my bed.

"No, no," I assured him quickly. "Actually, I told him everything."

"Everything?"

"Everything."

"What'd he say?"

I paused for a second because if I started talking about it, my voice would've been all high and squeaky because I was really happy and excited. "We're dating now."

His eyes widened to the size of soccer balls. "Wow. So...it went really damn well."

I nodded, smiling wider. "It's weird because I feel terrified but also insanely happy."

He nudged me with his arm. "It's about time you were happy with someone again."

"You think Ashton's good for me?"

"Oh yeah. He's definitely not like Danny."

My phone started vibrating loudly and wouldn't stop. I looked to my lap to see my phone blowing up with texts and missed calls from Michael, Calum, Lottie, and Ashton. Mostly Lottie, though.