La Diabla - Chapter Eighteen

Oscar jumped when the sound of a gunshot bounced against the walls. His reflex was to turn and check on Sabina. She was sitting up, a confused look on her face.

The first thing on his mind was Cesar, it was three in the morning and if he went outside after they fell  asleep anything could have happened. So he stood up slowly, putting his finger to his lips so Sabina would stay quiet, then he opened his hand so she would stay put.

Sabina nodded and he opened the bedroom door slowly, sticking his head out. Then he shut it, turning his head to her. "Lock yourself in here." He said, "don't come out no matter what you hear."

"But Oscar—"

"Understand me?" She nodded slowly and he kissed her lips. "Promise me."

"Osc—"

"Promise me!"

She gulped, nodding again. "I promise."

He kissed her forehead before leaving her in the room alone. 

She stood up, locking the door and took a deep breath. If he made her stay then something bad was definitely happening. She didn't want to leave him by himself. She paced, thinking about opening the door or at least unlocking it so he could run in if he needed to.

"Cesar?" Oscar pushed his door open, Cesar was ducked down on the other side of the bed.

He put a finger to his mouth, then pointed out side. He mouthed, "they're listening."

Another gun shot went off and Oscar ducked, opening the closet door on his knees and pulled out two guns. Cesar swallowed nervously as he watched his brother load it then cock it, sliding it across the tiled floor to him. "It's do or die time hermano."

Cesar nodded, "I'm right behind you."

Oscar stood in a bended position, dodging the windows until he was at the front door, looking through the peep hole. Vaguely, he could see a man with a red mask on, surrounded by men.

He took slow strides toward the house, standing in the middle of the yard. "Santo." He spoke loudly, tilting his head to the side. "You're gonna die tonight, primer aviso."

"Fuck." Oscar spat, ducking down. He shook his head at Cesar who tried to stand up behind he table. "I love you hermano, okay?"

"What?"

"Get Sabina out through my window." He cocked his gun, "take care of her."

"Oscar," he shook his head. "What are you doing?"

"Go." He said, taking in deep breaths. "I'll distract them."

"Oscar—"

"Go!" He yelled so the people outside would hear him. Cesar flinched but stood up, knocking on Oscar's bedroom door.

When Sabina let Cesar in, Oscar prayed for them, shutting his eyes as he leaned his head against the wall. Then he reached for the door knob, pulling the door open.

"Spooky." Dario said, "I'll bet you anything that you knew I was gonna be here."

Oscar took a couple of steps toward him, the men lifted their guns, the cocking echoed through the dead neighborhood. He didn't say anything, he kept his face straight, tossing his gun onto the grass and put his hands up in surrender.

Dario laughed evilly, "you think God's gonna save you now, Santo?" His gang members laughed with him and Oscar's nostrils flared angrily. "Answer me!" Dario yelled stepping closer to him. "Where's your God now?"

His men circled in, but Oscar stayed quiet, his hands still up. He figured if he could piss him off he'd get Cesar and Sabina some lead time.

"Grab him."

The men ran toward him, grabbing him by his arms roughly, one of them standing behind him so that he couldn't move in any direction.

Dario began to chuckle as he removed his mask, inches away from Oscar's face. "Look at me." He spat.

Oscar's head was turned, his eyes shut. If he was going to die he was going to die with all of his dignity, nobody was going to take that away from him.

"I said look at me." Dario grabbed his jaw, turning it toward him. Oscar spat at him, shaking with anger. "There is no God." Dario glared at him as he wiped his face, pointing the gun at his head. "But I would start praying, cause you're about to find out."