La Diabla - Chapter Fourteen

"Obviously she had something to do with the Santo, or he wouldn't have came here." Dario set his hand down on the table, "she stayed alive this long? I'm thinking he was hiding her. Who would look for a Diablo in a Santos house?"

Jonah nodded, "okay, so what do you want to do with that information?"

"Mira." Dario said, "la muerte gave your daughter her beauty for a reason, she could help us take down the Santos, if she was really with this guy he most likely fell in love."

Jonah continued nodding, catching on. When Sabina was a baby, it had been rumored that they saw La Santa Muerte watching over her. So Jonah had her mom, the curandera for Los Diablos, tie her to La Muerte. But in order for her to keep that tie, she couldn't have kids. Kids scared La Muerte away and Sabina wouldn't be of use to them without the tie, that being why they did what they did to her baby.

It could all be some hoax, but Jonah believed strongly in it and the more you believe the stronger it got. The tie kept Los Diablos together. He wasn't going to let his gang fall apart for some kid. Sabina was tied to the woman in her tattoo and she had no idea.

"I say we throw her back out there, although maybe not as literal as the first time." He chuckled, "that way we have a way into the Santos."

Jonah raised his eyebrow, without the Santos they'd be the only gang in the whole east-west Los Angeles area, it would make them stronger. "Well I say do it." He said, "you're on this one." He grabbed a stack of cash from behind him, tossing it onto the table in front of him. "But you're gambling with your life, Pit Bull. You know what happens if you lose."

Dario grabbed the money, flicking through it. "I got this, Lucifer." He smirked, "have I ever let you down?"

"No." He shook his head, "no yet."

"And I won't, jefe." Dario smacked the stack against his palm, "I'll talk to her, then we'll get it going."

"Suerte."

Dario winked, walking away as he shoved the bills into his pocket. "Hermosa." He knocked on the bedroom door, catching Sabina's attention, she was painting her nails.

"Come in." She twisted the cap on the red nail polish, setting it on the nightstand. "Que paso?"

"I wanted to talk to you about something." He sat on the bed, pulling out the cash. "I want you to tell me who you were staying with."

She furrowed her eyebrows, "why?"

He licked his thumb, counting the bills. He pulled out a few bills, setting them on the bed. "You think that's enough?"

"For what?" She looked down at it cautiously, dirty money never came free.

"I want to pay back who ever took care of you, I'm sure it wasn't free to feed you and shit."

"Oh?"

He thumbed through a few more bills, "how about we make it an even one-k?"

"Uh.."

"You gonna tell me who it was?" He stood, reaching for his car keys.

"No." She stood, "I'll take it–" he raised his eyebrow and she chuckled nervously. "I just think it's right I do it since I was the one they were—you know? Taking care of and shit."

Dario knew she would, he wasn't stupid. "Okay." He nodded, tossing her the keys to his car. "Careful baby." He kissed her cheek.

She looked down at the bills, picking them up in one motion, sticking them in the pocket of her jeans. "Fuck man." She groaned, walking out of her room. "Apá?"

Jonah looked up as she walked down the stairs, raising his eyebrow. "Mande?"

"I'm gonna go run an errand, you need anything?"

He shook his head, "nah, but be careful out there, block is hot."