Part 22

TONY

For a while, he is himself again. Peter works beside me and offers suggestions on various projects I'm working on.
He speaks fast, as if making up for all his time of silence. I catch him watching me every now and then - as if he wants to say something but can't muster the words.
'I was thinking of heading over to the lab later. Looking more into those bullets and where they came from. Shuri's been working there with Bruce - we could use your help, if your up for it.' I say, hesitant to suggest something less He retreat back into his room.
'Yeah.' He says, sitting on a stool and passing me a tool before I even realised I needed it, 'that'd be good.'
'And, no pressure, but there is the matter of school. You can go back whenever you want. They understand your situation.' I say. I'm stepping delicately. I don't want to push my luck.
'Maybe next week.' He says, quietly, 'I should talk to MJ anyway.'
'That girl's really got a thing for you.' I say, looking to him from the corner of my eyes, 'She a friend of yours?'
'I, uh.' His face goes red and he looks around the room, 'a friend. Yeah.'
I look to him and smile slightly, 'pass my coffee?' I say as he smiles back, embarrassed. 'You can invite her round here whenever you want. And you can leave the house whenever you want.' I say, wanting to make it clear to him.
'This is your house too, now. But I know I'm not your...' I trail off, 'I don't want to replace anyone.'
'Thank you.' He says, simply.
'MJ is welcome round whenever. Or you can go out and see her. But not as Spider-Man - not until we've figured out who has these bullets and how to counter them.' I say.
'Okay.' He replies, 'so we'd better find out where they're coming from.'
'I guess we better had.' I agree.